Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

Eagle Mountain, CA - the neatest place you can't go!

It would be a multi-day back pack from the bolder. Some people have taken bikes into the mine. The general public won't be aloud in until all of the lawsuits are over and it becomes apart of Joshua Tree National Park. I am looking forward to the day when that bolder is blown up and the fences come down so I can hike it legally.

If you all find a way to get into the town I know a lot of people who will want to tag along.

Hello all. My name is Luis. just joined and found this thread searching for some Eagle Mountain history and future developments. I am one of a few people that started kinder and graduated in Eagle Mountain. I just organized my 30th class reunion. Class of "80". Every time there is a reunion every class, teacher and Kaiser Mine Employee that Lived or worked there is invited. We keep our ghost town alive and stay pretty much in touch with everyone we can find online.

As Dennis Stated we were a very small town. But we had an enormous desert to explore and appreciate. I too remember traveling to play football and baseball against Calipatria, Holtville, and Imperial.

There is plans to convert the mine into a landfill but has been in litigation for 20 plus yrs. There was also someone who wanted to convert the entire mine and town into a desert park with all the resources you could ever need. 500,000 acres of offroad land. My hope is that it will become an off-road park. The Landfill will only pollute the underground water table.

We are planning a trip in the near future to repaint a giant letter "E" on the mountain that is clearly visible in Google earth or google maps. >>> 33.855907,-115.499332 <<< copy and paste into google maps and zoom in.

Good story Luis. George:cool::D

It would be a multi-day back pack from the bolder. Some people have taken bikes into the mine. The general public won't be aloud in until all of the lawsuits are over and it becomes apart of Joshua Tree National Park. I am looking forward to the day when that bolder is blown up and the fences come down so I can hike it legally.

If you all find a way to get into the town I know a lot of people who will want to tag along.

I know all the easy access areas to the mine. I also worked there one summer during a college program.

These are 2 separate videos that my brother and I shot from 2 different views. I shot one from a short distance of the town and the "E" we painted a few times on the side of the mountain. These videos came out of a reunion we had June 18-19-20 of 2010. My brothers video mostly shows driving into the town. The high school is still being used as an elementary School with only 28 kids. By the way, thats me with the trombone/trumpet. Havent played a trumpet in 20 yrs plus

I know all the easy access areas to the mine. I also worked there one summer during a college program.

Annd? They are where?

Loved your vid. All I read about is the law stuff and the fighting, it is good to remember that it was a living community once.

Annd? They are where?

Loved your vid. All I read about is the law stuff and the fighting, it is good to remember that it was a living community once.

darthjenni,

one access point is on the east side of the mine. that is where the "East Pit" is located. Not sure if the under ground water table is still exposed but it was a good size lake at the bottom. The roads around the pits are about 40 yards wide. That allowed for the Terex Titan (300 ton dump truck biggest in the world during that time) to maneuver in both directions. This access is the easiest and requires very little off-roading and is probably the least monitored section

Another access is along the railroad tracks to the south of town. once the town is reached, it would only be about 1/2 mile to where the trains were loaded for transporting the iron ore.

The other access you already mentioned where the bolder is blocking the road to the northwest side of the pit.

Jenni, what part of Cal you from? We live in Imperial, Ca where the quakes have been shaking everything. And yes this was once a live very active community. We had everything in a very small scale and we loved the no-crime environment. We all knew each other and to this day we stay in contact regularly. I posted a small video that I copied from old 8mm super 8 films of my dads on my face book. I will post the link on this thread.

I have lived all over So Cal My entire life. My husband and I have recently become obsessed with Joshua Tree NP. And have accidentally started to document all parts of the park on Flickr. We have fallen in love with the most remote part of the park, right outside of the Eagle Mountain Mine. That mine has everything: the most of whatever they mined out of it, an intact ghost town near by, people from all sides fighting over what should become of the land, and best of all you can't go in because of armed guards that will shot you on site. (I exaggerate but you get the idea) I guess the forbidden fruit is the sweetest :)

While pit mines are not my fav, I would love to see the inside. One day I hope Kiaser and the Park can come together, and make the best modern mining museum in Cali. Can you imagine kids crawling all over the Terex Titan and learning about modern mining techniques, the birth of the HMO, and the death of a town in the middle of the desert.

Did anyone else watch Top Gear this week on History Channel? They were test driving a Subaru WRX I think but the cool part is that they raced it against a dirt bike in Eagle Mountain. You got a pretty good look at how cool of a place that would be to explore. Wish we could get there.

Is this the same place they just filmed the last episode of Top Gear usa?