BigTuna117

Big Tuna's "Building the Dub!"

Well, alot has happened in the last year, and the jeep continues to impress with it's overall reliability and fuel economy!
Overall, most of my time has been spent working around the house, but with most of the major renovations complete, my eyes are turning back to my old friend. I have had some repairs and fixes done, and overall it's always a learning experience.
The Jeep has gotten: 
- A Mechman 240A Alternator: Even on the PCM Voltage regulator it has made a huge difference in charging. Side note, with the smaller pulley on this alt, the 4.7L uses a shorter serpintine belt, DAYCO 5060870. This retains belt tension correctly. I have in my possession an external adjustable voltage regulator kit which I will eventually add in, however I am in no hurry at the moment since it is maintaining proper charge currently. Both of my Duralast AGM batteries have since failed and have been replaced as well. I have also added in battery breathers since both are located in the back and are no longer in "open air" It helps prevent corrosion on the things around the batteries.

- A new radiator (again) This one failed in the exact same way as it's predecessor, which appears to actually be caused by electrolysis/corrosion. I have worked through engine grounds to ensure this one hopefully won't suffer the same fate. I opted for the same CHR Racing 3 row radiator as before, as I was always satisfied with it's performance. On the recommendation of some old hot-rod builders I talked to, I have added a ground to the radiator, and a Flex-a-lite Sacrificial Anode, which conveniently replaces this radiators HORRIBLE drain petcock. 
On a side note, has anyone noticed that worm drive hose clamps have gotten exceptionally horrible as of recently? I have started moving the jeep over to T-bolt hose clamps, which seem to grab more surface area on the hose, and can take significantly more torque, which is a great improvement over the standard worm drive clamps or the special ones recommended for the HPS hoses. So far the T-bolt clamps are a massive improvement.

Some of you may have seen the recent Ice storm in lane county on the news, a multiple-day-long freezing rain storm which destroyed over 1/3 of our utilities power grid and also damaged the utilities water systems as well. The jeep was put on battery charging duty for the coming days since the Toyotas do not have an always on power port. This ice storm also did in the last AGM battery, and the jeep is currently running dual EFB batteries.

Also, a random fact for y'all, The Milwaukee 2646-20 grease gun tops off at 10,000 PSI. At significantly less pressure, you can actually (rapidly) extrude the rubber interior bushing of a johnny joint right out of the joint! Not having any sort of pressure relief/ grease bleed on these joints seems like a huge design flaw. I will likely replace these with IRO flex joints in the future.

• Like 2

Upcoming, I need to:

-Replace brake lines, as I did not have a chance to complete that before we moved.
-Seal the roof rack, as the aftermarket steel rack does not seal completely to the roof of the jeep, which allows water mitigation into the OEM nutsert holes. I need to take the rack off and repaint it anyways. 
- I am determining which direction I want to go with the rack. There is an open box/discount store locally where I may score a rooftop tent for less than $800, just depending on if they get (another) one in. I may also weld a Milwaukee Tool Packout base to it, as there are aftermarket ones available in steel. The overall flat nature of the rack leaves ALOT of options. I'd also like to come up with a mount for my traction mats, since trying to transport them (muddy) inside the jeep is obviously pretty undesirable.

- Looking at GMRS radios. Although my CB has been super reliable, and I actually get extremely good range out of it, most of course have moved to GMRS for obvious reasons. I now own a handheld CB unit as well, so I am not opposed to possibly removing that CB unit completely.

- I think this thing as earned a real bumper. Really looking at the D.Till Fabworks Winch Bumper. I have been using my rear hitch-mounted tire carrier, and it is looking significantly worse for wear, but I may eventually replace it with an HK offroad Kratos carrier.

• Like 2

Great to hear from you @BigTuna117. Ice storm sounds a little to heavy-duty weather-wise! Glad you're doing good and the Jeep continues to perform well for you. 

• Like 1

good to hear from you MIchael!

make the switch to GMRS, you won't regret it. 

do you have a link to the T-bolt clamps you like? i prefer the OEM spring clamps on cooling system hoses. however, the large couplers in my K&N snorkel/intake use worm-drive and i'd like to switch them to T-bolt style at some point.

• Like 1