BigTuna117

Big Tuna's "Building the Dub!"

do let us know how the heat test goes. i had looked into these things also and knew about the capacitor versions, hopefully that keeps it ticking along. thanks for sharing the videos - you've inspired me to grab one of these soon!

Sure thing! Another cam I hear good things about is the Mini 0801 and the Mini 0803. Eventually, I'd like to get a unit that allows for a camera in the windshield and one in the rear window, such as the K1S.

So, I FINALLY got around to the Akebono caliper conversion. Pretty simple, really Pretty surprisingly, my rear rotors were MUCH worse than the front.

The Rear pass was scored all the way around pretty deeply, and then there was this on Rear Driver:

gTk9Bbr.jpg

Pounding off the old rotors on a 100 degree day was truly a PITA. All four rotors were rusted to the axles, and required VERY liberal use of the sledge to finally pop 'em.

But the end result was worth it. I ended up getting the akebono calipers from PowerStop, which was MUCH cheaper than buying the Akebono calipers individually, even though the PowerStop calipers are brand new. They also came with all mounting hardware, so that made it that much easier. I took a gamble and replaced the rear brake pads/rotors while waiting on the UPS man to bring me the PowerStop calipers. My gamble paid off, as I was lowering the rear off the jack, the package arrived and I was able to immediately start on the front.

Here's the new front brakes with the spacers installed:

mTsbTkV.jpg

And with the Passenger side, sporting the tire, too:

FJnllxQ.jpg

Oh! And I captured my first near miss on the dash cam today:

Well, I spent Saturday, Sunday, and part of Monday replacing upper control arms and axle bushings. I went non-stock for the axle bushings, using Ruske Dana 30 Poly Bushings, and Core 4x4 Fabrication adjustable uppers. Installation of the control arms was pretty standard, and we had to get creative with the upper axle bushings, since the poly bushings don't come with the metal outer sleeve, you have to grind the old rubber bushing out and press the poly bushing into the metal outer sleeve. It was a well needed replacement, and probably should have been completed many miles ago.

9jVWoqR.jpg

Three of the four bushings looked pretty much like this.

boCP2ZQ.jpg

Here's and old vs. new of the stock upper and the Core 4x4 Fab one.

I picked up a set of the Ruske bushings for my axle im building? Havent heard of many people using them but they looked like a good option. I had some stock bushings that I was going to install so I just cut, melted and made a huge mess getting the clevite bushing material out so I could use the sleeves. I havent installed them yet but would be interested to hear how you like them. Seems like it would be a good option for them to sell the sleeves as well because it is such an ordeal to get out the old ones.

those bushings sound like a lot of work!

I picked up a set of the Ruske bushings for my axle im building? Havent heard of many people using them but they looked like a good option. I had some stock bushings that I was going to install so I just cut, melted and made a huge mess getting the clevite bushing material out so I could use the sleeves. I havent installed them yet but would be interested to hear how you like them. Seems like it would be a good option for them to sell the sleeves as well because it is such an ordeal to get out the old ones.

I really wish they'd sell them in the sleeve. To install em, you WILL NEED a ball joint press and a 1.5" wire brush drill attachment. I left the metal sleeves in the axle when I did it, since there wasn't much bushing left, I removed the center piece and got the big chunks of rubber out with a screwdriver. Then I hit it with the wire wheel, got it down to metal, and pressed the bushing in. So far, they ride pretty nice. The old bushings were seriously trashed, so I has some serious steering slop, "Walking" across the lane when driving, and lots of bump steer. Alot of people say that the poly bushings are too firm, but I disagree. So far it drives pretty comfortably. The new axle bushings and upper control arms have eliminated all slop, no more "Walking" or bump steer.

those bushings sound like a lot of work!

Oh, they were a TON of work. This Jeep hasn't given me this much of a workout since installing the lift.

Two busted knuckles, road rash across both my shoulders from sliding in and out underneath the Jeep (I really need a creeper) and a bruise across my left hip, I sure hope they were worth it.

wl8jyiw.jpg

Does sound like a pain in the a#%!! My one advantage is that I'm going to install them before I install the axle. Just hope they last a long time so there will be no need to replace them.

Well, today Pegasus received a new A/C Drier and the line going into the compressor. I had mentioned a leak before, but I pretty much blew the hose right out of the metal fitting a few weeks ago. She's all set for the summer now. It's nice and cool again!

Well, I spend my Birthday "Weekend" (yesterday and today) Installing some LED "Rock Lights" on Pegasus, for those trail runs that drag into the night. In total I spent probably 25 or 30 bucks total on this project, used some cheap waterproof LEDs, and some nifty wire distribution to make it modular. If a section goes out, it's easy to replace! It's all on a Relay run to Battery B (Rear) and uses an estimated 5-7 amps. Not too shabby... and plenty of room for more if they are needed sometime down the line.

UNpJUjt.jpg

I also added some red LED strings to the vent "fins" for an added cool touch

omnA9se.jpg

Each wheel well got two of these little bolt LEDs. they seem less likely to get damaged due to their low profile.

60nvrt2.jpg

Below the rockers got some cheap waterproof adhesive led string. At first I was worried about the adhesive not holding because of the heat, but 24 hours after install they stick solid! I'll probably come up with a secondary way of holding these up, just in case. I have plenty of this string of LEDs left, so I'll probably utilize some inside too.