BigTuna117

Big Tuna's "Building the Dub!"

Nicely done!

Thanks! All in all, I planned to re-use a relay and a switch that I had leftover from other projects. The relay no longer worked so it got replaced, but all in all, I spent probably $35 for the LEDs (both types), wire, the new relay, and different crimp-on connectors. Not too shabby, especially since most rock light kits seem to cost in the $150-$200 range. This setup is waterproof, modular (so if one section or one of the LED bolts goes out, it can be replaced easily), and much more low profile than most kits I've seen.

Well, a couple of water crossings killed one of the smaller rocker LED strips this weekend. I think when I cut it, the waterproof layer separated from the circuit board. When we splashed down, it probably shorted out that little section. Easy fix, though. All in all, Pegasus didn't do too badly, but drove like a boat home since the bushings in my sway bar links are toast. I'll probably upgrade the rear to poly and just replace the front links with quick disconnects, since i need those anyways.

My "Tiny Tarp Awning" was a great idea, but the tarp used is just too dang small. I'll probably pull the 4x6 tarp off and replace it with something 8x10 or 10x12, and just incorporate another tent pole in to the mix. Had a great time out of the heat with ORP this weekend!

Soon, I'll say buh-bye to the stock Infinity Amp!

(Imgur is being funky again)

20150723_152830.thumb.jpg.23594d4d101c1e80854c88a6f40c2beb.jpg

This is Rockford Fosgate's Punch 300x4 super compact 300 watt amp. It'll be replacing the Infinity amp here in a few days. Should be a fairly straightforward install, so I'm pretty excited to get rid of the Infinity amp.

It's also designed, tested and manufactured here in Arizona! Rockford Fosgate is a local company! Love their amps. The one powering my sub is almost 5 now and still works wonders. The sound curve RFosgate amps are tuned to hit is a very warm, hi-fidelity curve, so I am stoked to see how these do with the polks in the back doors (and the Cerwin-Vega! 6x9's I have on order for the front doors).

So, I got the new amp installed yesterday. Was pretty straightforward, and the main battery is a little happier with the lightened load of not having the primary amp in its circuit. I wired the dash speakers back into the HU, and rand the four door speakers into the amp. Sounds MUCH better. I can't actually get it to distort so far, which is great. The Infinity amp distorted pretty bad ant normal listening level. Pretty pleased with the outcome.

Hmm, another thing I've been having problems with is the dash cam. Somehow it killed the 64GB MicroSD card I had in it. This is the last time I "overformat" to FAT32. Will be getting an actual 32 Gb MicroSD next time. In the last 3 years this is the 2nd 64GB card I've killed in FAT 32, as FAT32 is technically not supposed to be on anything above 32GB in today's standards. So, for the time being, its back to the 1GB card until I get a new card in.

I have been looking to upgrade to a Mini0806, which is a newer cam with better support, dual MicroSD slots, and support to up to 128GB for each slot! Pretty incredible, that would have been unheard of for anything under $400 last year. Now you can get it for $100. Nuts.

did you put the amp in the same spot as the infinity? i read a few reviews of them getting ridiculously hot, though it might have just been an early generation of that model. just something to keep an eye on.

Indeed. It does get pretty toasty. I was considering moving somewhere else. The 4 channel amp is small enough that I could put it under one of the front seats, or maybe on one of the side panels.

I think every build probably has a point where you add something completely unnecessary for a reason that is practical or makes sense.

After wiring the Fosgate amp in, I had the four amplified outputs from the clarion HU left over to experiment with. Naturally the Rockford-Fosgate 3.5"s in the dash got the front channels on that. I wanted to keep everything full range since the 3.5" are designed for full range and extend the mids very nicely. I was looking for something to fill the midrange a little bit, since most car audio speaker setups tend to be higher on the treble and low in the bass, but leave a lot to be desired in the mids. I decided to fill the two unused rear channels with the simple reasoning of "Well, they're there lets use 'em!"

I wanted something back there that was compact, but decent sounding. Something that could extend the sound range available in the Jeep without losing too much space. So I started bugging around the internet and ended up buying a pair of Series III Bose Acoustimass Cube speakers. Yes, I know, I know. They are home theatre speakers, but suit their purpose in the Jeep well. They are 4Ω compatible up to 100 watts- much more than I will ever pump into em. I bought this pair of white cubes off ebay for $25 and refurbished them for use in the Jeep.

Fresh outta the shipping box, they are pretty ugly cosmetically. Nothing a little spray on bedliner and fabric paint can't fix!

IAZ3gsW.jpg

To my surprise, these are all scuffs on the housing. I cleaned them pretty thoroughly painting them.

fLcDfXp.jpg

Luckily the housing is solid and the drivers are in good shape.

6tu1On2.jpg

After the first shot of fabric paint, already looking much sharper.

2KA9IWe.jpg

Fresh looking and ready for service!

YuSOufQ.jpg

Mounted with a cheap mounting kit. They've held up pretty well so far. Like this, they should be able to swivel around toward the hatch for tailgating or listening to music whilst camping. I didn't use the speaker mounts that came with the kit, instead using the "Mounting Keys" supplied with the speakers. will probably change to something more heavy duty in the future.

jN6ZvVe.jpg

The cubes add a nice frequency range to the Jeep. Even where they are positioned, they are not harsh at all while sitting in the back seats.

7RPFVdu.jpg

So, I think I'm pretty much done messing with the sound system in the Jeep. At an insane 8.1 Channels, there isn't much more I can really add to it anyways. Sounds pretty damn good, too.

Onward, to more important things, like Fender trimming/folding, quick disconnects, and trail related shenanigans!

I bet it sounds great, nice work!