BigTuna117

Big Tuna's "Building the Dub!"

This is gonna be a fun weekend!

[ATTACH]2370[/ATTACH]

Nice, what size are you going?

The 4th was hiding under the shocks, haha

That's IRO's 3" lift. I figured it was perfect for a beginner who was trying to get away from the budget boost.

Well, The front end is done.

DSCN0152.thumb.jpg.54e8b3bfbab588a91bb3c367b2c68249.jpg

The Trackbar, having been gently used by a friend of mine who recently upgraded to a Clayton 6" LA kit, received new bushings before getting moved into place.

DSCN0153.thumb.jpg.0234c14e983839aec107d47a9cfae1be.jpg

We'll get the rear taken care of tomorrow morning. We couldn't get it to droop enough tonight, so hopefully we can persuade it to in the morning.

Rear is complete now, too. The rear was really stubborn. We had to get creative to droop the axle down far enough to even get the original springs out!

IMG_20141018_094851.thumb.jpg.acd1d9e27fd328cfbbb74cb6da043aa0.jpg

After a while of muscling the axle, compressing and decompressing springs, and cursing at the impact wrench, we finally go it together.

IMG_20141018_104133.thumb.jpg.e130affd34cd29c9f8b9dd37404c3903.jpg

After taking it for a test run, we encountered a problem, being the bolt on the front left bar pin assembly had somehow ripped itself off somewhere on the road we lost the bolt, and the upper bushing for that shock. fortunately I had spare bushings, so it was just a matter of a trip to Ace to get a new bolt.

And here she is, complete for now.

DSCN0154.thumb.jpg.5b5b0b8f41343d34be709988f75d604c.jpg

I still have IRO's transfer case skid in the garage, but that'll have to wait for another, cooler, day.

Looks good!

Looks like the Tuna is ready for action.

G :cool:

Sometimes, it's the little things...

451758974_IMG_20141025_1544121.thumb.jpg.e2ce4636e3190553e2e6434928c41b7c.jpg

I ordered these from PixelDecals last month and hoped they'd arrive last week in time for the liftin' day I had last Friday. Fortunately, they showed up today, and finally got to put em' on!

Well, this weekend I had the opportunity to test the new suspension and tires, as I returned to Crown King with NAU 4x4 and WildCat Offroad. Overall, the jeep performed marvelously, even loaded down with 4 people, and extra fluids, gear. The BFG Rugged Terrains gripped the rocks like they were made out of sandpaper, and the IRO springs / Bilstein shocks smoothed out the trail quite nicely. The only major downsides I had were:

- Running with no rear trackbar I stuffed the rear tires pretty nicely. Fender trimming will come eventually.

- The new fan clutch (I think) really made the v8 gutless (the 99 Wj's had a clutch fan, before the hydraulic fan was implemented). Throttling up on the highway was a long task. That being said, I am also running slightly larger tires than before. This was the first trip out where I had the 30.6" tires. I have also never had this much weight in the rig, although I came close on my last trip up to Flagstaff (I was a volunteer at Overland Expo, we camped out near Mormon Lake to minimise gas consumption). On that trip, I estimate I was around 3/4 the weight of this weekend's trip. I feel like an electric fan mod will probably be somewhere in the future either way, as the fan clutch can be prone to failure, especially in rigs use off road.

- Lights. The PIAA off road lights are not very bright at all. A small light bar could have EASILY outshone them, although my high/low beams and fog lights aren't exactly bright either. I'd like to replace the PIAA's with something brighter, and I would also like to add lights to the inner fenders and maybe a few to the roof rack for the rear and sides? It's an idea.

DSCN0206.thumb.jpg.ec12ff0604037b1f76a7f18be86c8abe.jpg

Overall, especially with the amount of weight on the rig, I felt like it did pretty well. The BFG Rugged Terrains did exceptional for an All-terrain (especially for how well they handle on road, too), and held their own in a rocky, sandy environment. Of course, there is always room for improvement, though.

EDIT 2/2/2015: I was reading through my old posts and realized I never added the videos to this. Well, here they are.

the rig looked good in person!