Sign in to follow this  
Curly

Basecamp problem

I have been using Basecamp for a while and don't really like it. Mapsource was much easier to use. I am having a problem opening just the file I want to view. Example: Today I downloaded a trail gpx that the KSmith put on this site. I was able to open it, but the program also displays every track and way point I have in the programs memory. When I try to export a file to my GPS, it will try and export everything and I will get a 'memory full ' message.

Does anyone know how to view and upload just one file in BaseCamp?

Thanks

Curly

I have saved each of my trip tracks files into separate folders in Basecamp. For instance, I created a folder called 'Quartzsite Area', saved the tracks K posted earlier, naming it Dripping Springs Trail. Then when I click on just that one I can view only it, or export it into a file for others or upload to my unit. I am able to see only the tracks on that file when I click it, vs. if I click 'My Collection' at the top I see all of them at once. Not sure if that addresses your problem though.

Oh interesting Diane,....I shall have to try this!

Not sure about your problem tho Tim.

smiles, ladybug

yeah you pretty much have to use the collections/lists/folders feature to keep stuff separate. everything is one giant database and the "lists" in the left side pane under "My Collection" are really just "filters" of that data (right click to create new lists). to export only a single list, be sure you've just clicked on a list name and then the File menu will have an option to "Export (list name)..."

it's not a perfect system, it means you do have to import/export all the time instead of actually being able to just open a single file and work with it. copy/cut/paste between lists also works kinda funny... and if you delete something in one list then usually you are actually deleting the single real copy of it that's shown in ALL lists, so be careful of that!

MapSource is still available (http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209) - it says it will only work if you have a MapSource product already but actually you just need to install BaseCamp first.

you might want to check out TopoFusion instead though if you are on a PC: http://www.topofusion.com/

FYI, the Delorme TOPO series is a good tool with great maps but also sort of a cluster when it comes to handling track files, so i wouldn't recommend it if you already don't like BaseCamp's style.

Thanks guys, I'll try the folders and see if that helps. I'm also going to try the topofusion.

Curly