Sign in to follow this  
Ladybug

Yellowstone Magma

UPDATE! Yellowstone Road turns to Oatmeal! Check out final post....

smiles, ladybug

Another FYI!

The hot molten rock beneath Yellowstone - that magma - is 2.5 times larger than previously thought. Yellowstone's supervolcano has the potential to erupt with a force 2000 times the size of Mount St. Helens. The magma chamber is 55 miles long, 18 miles wide, and runs at depths from 3 to 9 miles below the surface of the earth.

Just so as you know!

smiles, ladybug

Why couldn't this be under California? lol

Well that certainly would change things up a bit, wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

I love Yellowstone, it will suck if we lose it. California not so much, plus AZ would have beach front finally :D

And it's overdue for its next major eruption per some scientist's ...... :nailbiting:

I'll bring the hot dogs, you go find a good stick! :D;):P

My daughter is trying to get an internship this summer there with the forrest service, now I'm wondering if it's such a good idea?

My daughter is trying to get an internship this summer there with the forrest service, now I'm wondering if it's such a good idea?

Her voice might go up an octave or two: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/02/18/279246118/if-yellowstone-could-talk-it-might-squeak-blame-the-helium

8076136710_e9b142499d_o_slide-06b17865f3a2fe549bf891bd47868402c34d341d-s4-c85.jpg

Just read this in the paper the other day.....googled it and copied and pasted...please don't mind the quotes...

"Extreme heat from a massive supervolcano underneath Yellowstone National Park is melting a major roadway at the popular summertime tourist attraction. Park officials have closed the area to visitors.

Firehole Lake Drive, a 3-mile-plus offshoot of the park’s Grand Loop that connects the Old Faithful geyser and the Madison Junction, is currently off limits. Park operators say the danger of stepping on seemingly solid soil into severely hot water is “high.”

“It basically turned the asphalt into soup. It turned the gravel road into oatmeal,” Yellowstone spokesman Dan Hottle said.

The affected roadway offers access to the Great Fountain Geyser, White Dome Geyser, and Firehole Lake.

“There are plenty of other great places to see thermal features in the park,” park public affairs chief Al Nash told The Weather Channel. “I wouldn’t risk personal injury to see these during this temporary closure.”

While thermal activity under the park often gives way to temperature fluctuations that can soften asphalt throughout Yellowstone, Hottle said the latest wave seems worse than usual.

“But it’s hard to tell if a thermal area is hotter than normal, because it’s always fluctuating here,” he said, according to the Los Angeles Times. “Road closures are business as usual for us.”

Maintenance workers now must lift the melted asphalt from the roadway, then apply sand and lime to soak up any remains, according to Hottle.

The spokesman said he hopes the road will be reopened by next week, adding that he does not believe the activity will significantly curb visits to the park.

Yellowstone’s supervolcano last erupted about 640,000 years ago, according to US Geological Survey records.

Last December, geologists reported that the magma reservoir under the supervolcano is two-and-a-half times larger than previous estimates.

"That's not to say it's getting any bigger,” said analysis team scientist James Farrell of the University of Utah. “It's just that our ability to see it is getting better."

The supervolcano has the potential to spew more than 240 cubic miles (1,000 cubic kilometers) of magma across Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming.

"We believe it will erupt again someday, but we have no idea when," Farrell told National Geographic."

The more we find out, we begin to discover that we truly understood very little about our planet… :P