Here are a few pictures from the trip to get us started:

thekdude at Skull Rock:

Kofa2010258.jpg

One of our New Member's rig:

Kofa2010083.jpg

And then this at lunch yesterday.

Kofa2010244.jpg

More about that later.

It was a good trip, and although we didn't follow the original itinerary to the tee, we saw a lot of cool stuff.

d

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

I see you located one of the tractors from the original Artic expedition trains... Once it was retrieved from the Artic in the late 60's, it was moved to Yuma, where most of it remained for many years, until it was piecemeal disassembled with parts going to a variety of museums, and scrap yards... Oddly enough the tires and wheels went to the forerunners of today's monster trucks...:P

http://www.warisboring.com/?p=434

I see you located one of the tractors from the original Artic expedition trains... Once it was retrieved from the Artic in the late 60's, it was moved to Yuma, where most of it remained for many years, until it was piecemeal disassembled with parts going to a variety of museums, and scrap yards... Oddly enough the tires and wheels went to the forerunners of today's monster trucks...:P

http://www.warisboring.com/?p=434

Karma to you Steve! I was just going to ask what that was. very interesting, thank you sir.

Crud, says "no Karma for you." I must spread it around first.

Karma to you Steve! I was just going to ask what that was. very interesting, thank you sir.

Crud, says "no Karma for you." I must spread it around first.

i had mistakenly thought the Yuma Proving Ground Heritage Museum was actually located in Yuma, and had mentioned that i really wanted to see the Overland Train while there but we would be missing it.

then while at a display of tanks and rockets just down the road from YPG, i overheard a lady say "...we should take them to see the giant train..." and my ears perked up and so i asked her about it and she told me it was at the base and the base was open to everyone, so we backtracked a couple miles and got to see it, which made my day!

this was the original article i read about the train: http://www.roadtripamerica.com/wheels/overland.htm

the one we saw was the MKII.

MkII%20%233-7.jpg

one more post on the Overland Train...

it's running 48x68r?

P1040892.JPG

and there firestones!

P1040894.JPG

I was living and working in Yuma when the train originally showed up in the scrap yard, and at that time it consisted of at least 8 cars, but IIRC, the news paper article indicated it had close to a dozen total. At any rate, it drew large crowds for a while, until the novelty of seeing it sit there rotting in the sun wore off... Initially it was on property adjacent to the city Cemetery, across from Schumann's Pipe & Steel Scrap yard, where a few of the cars went for scrap.

Was surrounded by a BUNCH of WW2 vehicles of all types for years, some whole, and some just scrap junk... Forgot the fella's last name, I only recall him as "Jim", and purchased some Jeep stuff from him over the years...:P

one of the articles on the overland train mentions that the original bigfoot supposedly bought a bunch of the tires when the train was decommissioned... sure enough, here it is running them:

worlds-largest-bigfoot-truck.jpg

one of the articles on the overland train mentions that the original bigfoot supposedly bought a bunch of the tires when the train was decommissioned... sure enough, here it is running them:

worlds-largest-bigfoot-truck.jpg

There were several Bigfoots during his/their reign. Kind of like the sequential series of a movie... Rocky I, Rocky II, etc. I believe this was Bigfoot IV.

The Kofa trip started out as proposed, but the drive down there was practically the only thing done as originally planned. We met at Firebird Raceway and then meandered through Maricopa and Mobile to Gila Bend where we had lunch. From there we took I-8 to the outskirts of Yuma, exiting at Foothills where we made our final stop before hitting dirt. We drove to Highway 95, then west a few miles before turning north on Ave 7 E, AKA Laguna Dam Road. Soon farms and fruit stands became a graded dirt road alongside a canal to the right, and the Colorado River on the left. This part of the Colorado is wide and marshy-looking, and there are several dams along the way, creating some nice fishing lakes.

Kofa%202010%20032.jpg

Our original plan was to take the Laguna Dam Road to the Imperial Dam Road, go across the river to Senator Wash Road and then go north to Squaw Lake Campground where we were to base camp for 2 nights. What a disappointment! A crowded asphalt parking-lot adjoins a bare dirt expanse with a few tables here and there. It appeared that the one fire ring would need to be shared among all the tent campers. The campground wasn’t what we had envisioned, and although originally chosen due to offering hot showers, they weren’t enough of a lure to keep us there.

We met a family from Maine at Squaw Lake who were on a 10 week adventure, and they told us about places to camp nearby, that were nice and free! So off we went to explore, and finally settled on a site under the trees at Mittry Lake Wildlife Area.

Kofa%202010%20014.jpg

Saturday morning we set off for the Big Eye Mine; north on Laguna Dam to Imperial Dam, and then east to Hwy. 95 and beyond. Not even two miles down the road at an entrance to the Yuma Proving Grounds Army Base, we found this helicopter perched at a flirtatious angle beckoning us with photo ops.

Kofa%202010%20039.jpg

Kofa%202010%20036.jpg

After that photo session we took off and didn’t get another mile before we came to the Brooks Historic Exhibit and had to stop for another photo shoot!

Kofa%202010%20062.jpg

Kofa%202010%20069.jpg

While we were at the weapons exhibit, Kristoffer overheard a lady suggest to her husband that they go to ‘The Big Train’. The K-dude’s head popped up when he heard her, and he asked her if she was referring to The Overland Train. He’d seen it online, and thought it was in downtown Yuma. She told him that it’s at YPG, and that civilians are allowed onto the base, so we back-tracked a couple of miles and visited the Overland Train Exhibit.

Kofa%202010%20082.jpg

By now it was noon and we were in the museum mode, so we decided to take in Castle Dome Town Site before going to the Big Eye Mine. Castle Dome Town is located on Castle Dome Road where it meets the trail to Big Eye Mine. Visitors have the choice of touring the town display or the mining display for $6.00, or both for $10.00. We opted for both, plunked down our money and then ate lunch at the picnic tables near the entrance.

Kofa%202010%20112.jpg

The proprietors have done a nice job of re-creating Castle Dome Town. The old buildings have been moved close together on several acres, are in good repair, and there are paths connecting them. Memorabilia on display along the walkways and in the buildings gives visitors plenty to look at, and gives the place an even more historical feel.

Kofa%202010%20117.jpg

The mining display is still in development, and although there are a few interesting things there, we didn’t think the self-guided tour was worth the extra $4.00.

DSC02100.JPG

Continued

v

v

v