Sign in to follow this  
Ladybug

Burro Creek Wilderness NOT!

What a wonderful trip report! Where does all that water come from? Is it a named river?

Man oh man! Sorry I missed all the fun. :mad:

What a great trip report! Thanks Karen.

Thanks Karen for planning and taking us to another part of beautiful Arizona ....

Finally got home about 4:45 pm after a 2 hour delay south of Wickenburg ... I found

that strange sound up around the radiator ... the check engine light came on with an audio beep...

voltage dropped ... then the temp went up real quick ... pulled off the road and shut down ...

the idler pulley had disintegrated ... good news, no damage to the belt or radiator

and I had a spare (learned from the same issue once before) ... more good news that

Mike Smith came along and helped me get it started and followed me to the I17 & and the 101,

which was way, way out of his way ...

Thanks again Mike ...

So off the NAPA for another spare idler pulley .....

Thanks Karen for planning and taking us to another part of beautiful Arizona ....

Finally got home about 4:45 pm after a 2 hour delay south of Wickenburg ... I found

that strange sound up around the radiator ... the check engine light came on with an audio beep...

voltage dropped ... then the temp went up real quick ... pulled off the road and shut down ...

the idler pulley had disintegrated ... good news, no damage to the belt or radiator

and I had a spare (learned from the same issue once before) ... more good news that

Mike Smith came along and helped me get it started and followed me to the I17 & and the 101,

which was way, way out of his way ...

Thanks again Mike ...

So off the NAPA for another spare idler pulley .....

Yes, I was going to add that Dave was not the only one with issues on this trip....Mike (Saltman) called us and made us aware of your idler pulley....I sure am glad that you made it home ok Mike (Buckner).

And Gracie is at "The Garage" for another sway bar bracket. This time the other side broke. :(

We are all quite grateful that we all made it home a-ok! What an adventure this one was!!

And Lichen - you'd think that was a river eh?! It is Burro Creek, and it is on my list to call BLM this week to see if they have dammed the creek. Sure hope not, as it would effectively block the way onto this trail from the south and make it one heck of a long spur. We've never seen water like this in this creek.

smiles, ladybug

Wow it just goes to prove the trips with the most surprises are usually the most fun - that is if everybody maintains an easy-going attitude - which it sounds like you all did. Kudos Karen for leading another fun adventure and writing a fun trip report. I really enjoyed it. When I saw that picture of the flowing river I thought for sure it was the Big Sandy. I can't believe it was Burro Creek! :eek:

Kudos also to everyone who helped our Jeepers in need and making sure they got home safe and sound. Stories like that are what make this whole thing worthwhile; people who care about each other and go out of their way to show it. :cool:

great trip report! really sorry i missed this one, it sounds like a real adventure! excellent job adapting to changing conditions...

"It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change." - Charles Darwin

huge thanks to Karen for organizing the trip and sharing it on Offroad Passport!

UPDATE !!!!

I have just got off the phone with BLM in the Kingman office....

Burro Creek has NOT been dammed. This amount of water is the result of the rain we had a few weeks ago. (remember it rained all weekend) He did indicate that the water does pool in this area, as we know from our prior crossing here, but is not usually so deep or wide. I asked about what time is the most ideal crossing, and he said June, before the monsoons. Yes, that is still a legit trail up between the 2 wilderness areas. And my notes showed we last crossed here in November.

I did ask, as two other members have pointed out to me another site, where people recorded going in from the Bagdad side of the wilderness. And yes, the maps do show a trail that goes in from the Bagdad side, and it goes down into the canyon, and butts up against the eastern side of the East Wilderness area. But this report indicated they had made their way up to Goodwin Mesa from there, despite no trails on any maps. BLM said that they must have traveled along the eastern edge of the wilderness (or broke the law by going into wilderness) to get up to the mesa, and when I asked about a trail there, he replied that not all trails are on their maps. Given the spur that I saw that goes in at Pinky Canyon, I suspect they may have found a trail that comes up that way? But it does look to me that they either crossed wilderness or traveled further north and came in on the northern edge of that mesa.

Finally I asked about the Cedar Mine Road - the road that's not a road. He was familiar with the fork in the road, past the private land, where the northern fork heads north and over. I asked if that was a decent trail and he replied that no one could answer that as they hadn't been on it for a long time. I reported to him that the southern trail (Cedar Mine Road) that we took, has degraded into quite a trail, and they might want to think twice if they were to consider taking one of their full size pickups through there. He thanked me for the info.

So I am going to suggest we postpone that Burro Creek Wilderness cherry stem run until late fall, and watch the weather. Or maybe next June. Remember, third time's a charm!!

smiles, ladybug

Remember, third time's a charm!!

smiles, ladybug

So, that would make it plan C, right? :D

So, that would make it plan C, right? :D

Heck its probably Plan R by now!!!

Hope you can join us on the next attempt!

smiles, ladybug