Sign in to follow this  
dzJeepChic

Tin Can Alley Trail Info Wanted

Has anyone here ever run 'Tin Can Alley'? From what I can tell it's somewhere between Lake Pleasant and Wickenburg, maybe in the Castle Hot Springs area?

I'd like to know more about it. How to get there, what it's rated & suitable to what types of rigs, trail-finding, how long, etc.

If you have info please post it. If you've been there and would like to lead a trailride, that would be great, too!

Thanks!

d :rolleyes:

Tin Can Alley is a lot of fun. I was out there several years ago and had a really good time! From what I remember, stock rigs can make it. There is one solid obstacle but there is an easy bypass. Besides that, its mostly hilly and a little tippy here and there. There was nothing overwhelming.

Diane - I sent you a PM with more details. I would be up for going out there sometime this spring. I want to say the trail takes 2 to 4 hours. You can make it longer if you want to explore.

John

Ran it at night in 2002 ..... not a long trail .... a lot ups and downs .... a stock 4x4 should not have a problem ......

And I would be interested in going again ...

Cool, thanks everyone. I want to look at this more closely, as I found somewhere on the VJC that the entrance to the trail has changed due to a gravel pit being moved. Might need to do an exploratory or at least find someone to lead the 1st time. Looks like a nice weekend daytrip, wouldn't mind trying to fit it in this spring.

You guys rock!

D,

It's one of the many many OHV trails that are in an area bounded on the south by HWY 74, on the North by the Hells Canyon wilderness, On the East by the Quintero golf course which is just west of Lake Pleasant, and on the West by the western end of Castle Hot Springs Road where it comes out @ Morristown.

It is my understanding this area was once pretty much either all STL or part of the southern portion of the Johnson ranches. The OHV area that is now open is on many trails that were either mining access, or ranch roads for gathering cattle, or some came about as part of the OHV play area that the P4W (Phoenix 4-Wheelers) had their club's camp at. (33 51 30.88N 112 30 22.13W) (which BTW is actually pretty close to the former site of the mining camp known as "English Camp").

I am not familiar with trails by name, but have been on most all of the trails out there either during the P4W trail rides, or at various other times for other purposes over the years. Went out there for the first time in several years last January for an afternoon with some folks, who said after we were done that one of the trails we ran was tin can alley, but I could not find it again by that name, if you paid me BIG money:p.

In addition to the decorative rock crushing operation at the far northern end of the ME wash for which they have built and maintain a well graded road to, much of this area is now either owned by or leased from the state and is a part of the Maughn cattle ranch operations, which stretch from 74 all the way to Peeples Valley and Wilhoit.

There is a OHV staging area which provided access to this area with an graded dirt road to the north off 74, approx 1/4 mile past the Quintero lane golf course entrance.

Can be a fun place to play... HTH...;)

I last ran Morgan City Wash and Tin Can Alley in March, 2006. Here's a link to the Virtual Jeep Club run report; the pics start with post #45: http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?t=12366

The tracklog is attached as a Garmin .GDB file.

TinCanAlley.gdb

• Like 1

thanks for the GPS track, Russ! :)

I last ran Morgan City Wash and Tin Can Alley in March, 2006. Here's a link to the Virtual Jeep Club run report; the pics start with post #45: http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?t=12366

The tracklog is attached as a Garmin .GDB file.

There is a little info from when I last ran it here: http://4x4ham.ning.com/forum/topic/show?id=2137397%3ATopic%3A975

July 12, 2008. I'm still trying to find the GPS track file.

Hey Virgil, John (lifesajeep) and Russ Chung both sent GPS coords, so don't go to trouble.

Looks like a nice little run with a few optional mild obstacles. As soon as I have time to upload those coords and look at some maps I'll try to put a trailride together; that is unless someone volunteers to lead it.

Thank you guys for the great info!

There is a little info from when I last ran it here: http://4x4ham.ning.com/forum/topic/show?id=2137397%3ATopic%3A975

July 12, 2008. I'm still trying to find the GPS track file.

Finally found it. It's a Google Earth kmz file. Night Run II.kmz at the bottom of Kevin's post. http://4x4ham.ning.com/forum/topics/2137397:Topic:2122