Sign in to follow this  
Number7

Reverse Rotation?

If one were to want to do a front axle swap on a Jeep, what is reverse rotation, and what axles have it and what axles don't have it?

George:cool::confused:

The Pinion gear is above the centerline of the axles instead of below it. Gear teeth are cut in the opposite direction and lubrication passages are different. Not interchangeable with standard gear sets. Also called a High Pinion axle. I don't know which axles use it.

Curly

If one were to want to do a front axle swap on a Jeep, what is reverse rotation, and what axles have it and what axles don't have it?

George:cool::confused:

Essentially, the axle is flipped up side down so that the pinion and input shaft are above the axle center line instead of below it in the standard rotation. Many Jeep axles already have a high pinion, particularly on the rear of Wranglers. With such a short drive shaft to the rear axle, it was beneficial for Jeep to engineer them with high pinions from the factory to reduce drive angles and wear on drivelines and U-joints.

I'm sure there are other members here that can elaborate on this.

BTW, front Dana 44's off of old Ford solid front axle pickups are high pinion, reverse rotation, and I believe the diff is even on the left side, so that's one you may want to consider.

...Oh, and Broncos too!

Ok, I meant reverse cut. I thought the front drive shaft turns backwards or the opposite direction than a standard cut gear. So from all the info you guys gave me, all front axles (front drive shafts) turn the same direction. A high pinyon D30 turns the same direction as a low pinyon D44 out of a TJ Rubicon. Is that right?

George:cool::)

Ok, I meant reverse cut. I thought the front drive shaft turns backwards or the opposite direction than a standard cut gear. So from all the info you guys gave me, all front axles (front drive shafts) turn the same direction. A high pinyon D30 turns the same direction as a low pinyon D44 out of a TJ Rubicon. Is that right?

George:cool::)

If you are asking if the propshafts still turn in the same direction between low & high pinions on a Jeep axle, the answer is yes…

I assume from these questions that you are looking to potentially install a TJ Rubi D-44 in #7?

FYI: The gears are cut with a different helix that is NOT interchangeable between low & high pinion axle of the same base model, to accomplish that…

If you are asking if the propshafts still turn in the same direction between low & high pinions on a Jeep axle, the answer is yes…

I assume from these questions that you are looking to potentially install a TJ Rubi D-44 in #7?

FYI: The gears are cut with a different helix that is NOT interchangeable between low & high pinion axle of the same base model, to accomplish that…

I am actually thinking about swapping out the high pinyon D30 out of Clifford and putting in a TJ Rubi D44. I would gear it 5.13 and get rid of the Detroit locker:poop: in the rear D44 and gear that 5.13 and a select locker. This may be a wet dream.

George:cool:

Except for the gear set and differential changes, and the likelihood of a need for a CV front driveshaft due to the DL angle differences, it should be a direct bolt-in.

These days finding TJ Rubi axles is difficult, as most folks think they are made of gold or other precious metal…:eek:

Just a thought… Given your guys driving smoothness and driving style in which you don't abuse them, it would most likely involve quite a bit less $'s to re-gear changing the diffs to what you want, perhaps add a truss to the front housing, and if you think you need them add some chromo stub shafts or chromo axle shafts to the D-30. ;)