Sign in to follow this  
ChrisD

Cost for changing the brake system at a rear wheel ?

Hi,

can anybody tell me the approximate cost for the complete brake assembly at the driver side rear wheel including labour ?

Yesterday my brake assembly was falling off and got destroyed on the trail and I am now in a shop to get a new one mounted and would like to have an orientation about what they might charge.

It´s for a 2008 JK Rubicon.

Thanks in advance for your answer.

my TOTAL GUESS is that the calipers/pads/hose/bolts/etc alone would be $300 - $600 at a shop. and the labor should be just a couple hours though at around $75/hr. personally if someone wanted more than $800 total i'd think it was a bad deal.

now that's mainly due to the markup that a shop is going to charge on parts, and most shops won't let you bring in your own parts. if instead you buy the parts at autozone or o'reilly's and do the labor yourself then it might cost you as little as $300 total. don't forget to bleed the system if you tackle it yourself.

Chris I'm glad to hear you're apparently okay since you're posting the questions after losing your brakes. I don't know the answers, George says depending on what all is broken and your location it could be upward of $1,000. Best wishes to you and let us know how it comes out. Pictures would be welcomed!!!

Hm, it is all gone. I have to get exchanged everything (pads, rotor, cylinders. calibers, hose....) and so on. The guy in the shop was speaking about 1200$.

Luckily, the JK has two brake circuits, so that I was able to drive out with just the front brakes and with my spare tire on, which also got flat at the same time. This happened in Death Valley on the way to Mengel Pass and we drove then from there back to pavement and then on paved roads towards a town, where I am getting some service now. But it was quite scary, going down the passes with just the front brakes in my heavy rig.

I just wondered about the 1200$ for just one side of the rear brake system.

Hm, it is all gone. I have to get exchanged everything (pads, rotor, cylinders. calibers, hose....) and so on. The guy in the shop was speaking about 1200$.

Luckily, the JK has two brake circuits, so that I was able to drive out with just the front brakes and with my spare tire on, which also got flat at the same time. This happened in Death Valley on the way to Mengel Pass and we drove then from there back to pavement and then on paved roads towards a town, where I am getting some service now. But it was quite scary, going down the passes with just the front brakes in my heavy rig.

I just wondered about the 1200$ for just one side of the rear brake system.

if you're in the middle of nowhere with limited shops to choose from then $1,200 isn't unreasonable, but seems a little high. i'd probably just pay it and be on my way if i was in the middle of a trip.

sorry to hear of your troubles though, i'm sure it was a scary ride down the passes!

Yesterday my brake assembly was falling off and got destroyed on the trail

Glad you're ok Chris, i know i would've been at least slightly concerned:eek:

Sorry to hear about the misfortune… BUT… Good to hear it only caused parts damage. ;)

Of course you know that since you posted this question you are obligated to tell the story about what happened, right? :D

I will do the work for $1150.00.

George:cool::D

I will do the work for $1150.00.

George:cool::D

wow that's a great deal since it includes travel to death valley to perform the repair!