Sign in to follow this  
dzJeepChic

May 10, 2014 Sunflower Mine Trail 4x4 Easy to Difficult

We're running the Sunflower Mine trail in and out (not the loop). Recent reports on the trail indicate that it's in rough shape since it had been closed for a couple years after the fire. It was rated difficult before and it's even more difficult now. This trip is just so we can get in there to check it out.

Everybody's welcome to come with us but if somebody gets overwhelmed by the trail they might have to turn around and go back or sit and wait while the rest of the group continues.

Lifts, lockers and armor are a plus. Body damage is a possibility.

Here's the link to the thread on the VJC so you can see the pictures of current conditions: http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?82360-Sunflower-Mine-4-11-14-first-loop-run-after-the-wildfire

UPDATE:The trail has been graded all the way up to the mine, making that whole section easy. Continuing up the creek bed looks to be moderate or difficult, but undetermined at this time. So everybody's welcome of all skill and rig spec levels, because you don't HAVE TO go up the creek bed, it's completely optional.

Meet up:

8:30 AM at Shell/Circle K on Shea Blvd & Monterey Dr., Fountain Hills, AZ (South side of Shea, West of Hwy. 87)

Depart for trail 9:00 AM (or earlier if everyone is ready)

Map here...

Additional Info:

CB Channel: 4

HAM radio simplex freq: 146.46

Everyone should bring lunch, snacks and plenty of water. We also recommend that you bring basic tools, spare tire, spare parts, etc. just in case.

Participants DO NOT need a permit.

People friendly pets allowed.

Trip may be cancelled in the case of rainy weather.

Post to this thread to sign up.

Trail Leaders:

Number 7 & dzjeepchic

theksmith

Attending:

Rush & Friend (meeting at Bush & Beeline Hwys.)

JeeperAZ

azrubicon & squinko (meeting at Bush & Beeline Hwys.)

Lichen

JKlee

gearhead

The Decoy

schip2009

Hi Diane, put me on the list please. Thanks, Karl

Everything after the old bread truck looks rougher, definite damage possibility....wish I still had my old rig.

Count me in!

We did a run out there today.. the trail is now graded all the way to the mine but the boulder field in the creek after that is still technical and washed out . The switch backs have not been graded so we turned around in the creek and came out the way we came in

So, you can get to the mine in a 2wd now?

So, you can get to the mine in a 2wd now?

Yes :sad:

I updated the 1st post with this:

UPDATE:The trail has been graded all the way up to the mine, making that whole section easy. Continuing up the creek bed looks to be moderate or difficult, but undetermined at this time. So everybody's welcome of all skill and rig spec levels, because you don't HAVE TO go up the creek bed, it's completely optional.

hi Diane.

can you please put Deb and i

down for a maybe. thanks

Diane,

Can you put my brother Danny and I down for a yes? He just joined up and his call sign is azrubicon We will be in his new Jeep. I am leaving the tired TJ at home.

Benny.