Sign in to follow this  
dzJeepChic

Questions about head bolts

We had to take the cylinder head off my XJ AGAIN because the spark plug in cylinder number one keeps fouling. While it's at the head shop, we ordered new head bolts so they'd be here for the install.

The thing is, half of them look different from the head bolts that were already on the Jeep. 7 of them are missing the 'built-in washer' on the bolts (see the pictures).

Why would they make bolts without the flange when they need this much clamping power? George has been on the internet all day looking for a set of factory ones with the flanges, and can't find any sets other than the ones we just bought.

Should he just use our old head bolts for the fourth time?

DSCN9779.JPG

DSCN9780.JPG

DSCN9783.JPG

they will stretch so new ones are a good idea. I always us ARP bolts when replacing head, main or especially rod bolts but I,m sure there's other brands that are just as good

Everything I've read, including in the link above, says only re-use them once then get new due to stretch. I'd get a set of ARP head bolts and call it good. I've used them in motors I have built. They appear to be flanged. ARP 146-3601 I wouldn't use those head bolts you got.

http://arp-bolts.com/kits/ARPkit-detail.php?RecordID=4599

146-3601.jpg

D,

Have double checked with one of my former workmates, who was/is the 4.0L engine guy, and he agrees that using a grade 8 washer under the heads of the new bolts you purchased which do not have flanges, is perfectly acceptable…

HTH… ;)

Who made the ones you bought?

Who made the ones you bought?

We don't know manufacturer name but we bought them at HeadBolts.com "engine hardware store".

I have decided to reuse the bolts. The guys over at B&B Machine Shop said these bolts are non stretch and can be reused as long they weren't rusted. It would take a lot more then 110 fp to stretch these bolts.

G:cool:

I have decided to reuse the bolts. The guys over at B&B Machine Shop said these bolts are non stretch and can be reused as long they weren't rusted. It would take a lot more then 110 fp to stretch these bolts.

G:cool:

The other forces at work on these fasteners, besides just the torquing of the bolts. IE: the combustion compression and heat/cooling cycles the engine (and the bolts) go through… I would recommend using the new ones you bought, along with grade 8 washers, to be on the safe side of potential fatigue related issues with the old fasteners.:cool: