Sign in to follow this  
dzJeepChic

Nikon Coolpix L20 Point and Shoot Camera

I hope I love it when it gets here! I just ordered a new camera, and after playing with the display models at Walmart and doing some research on-line, I settled on the Nikon Coolpix L20: http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-Camera/26164/COOLPIX-L20.html

I chose it because it's compatable with the memory cards I already have, takes AA Batteries, it has a BIG satin-finished LCD which looks like it will be easier to see in bright sunlight, and the menu screens and settings are easy to get to and figure out.

I saw a lot of great reviews of the camera and it's less than $100! Walmart stores in the PHX area are out of them, but the associate I talked to told me it's cheaper if you order it on-line anyway, and shipping is only $0.97.

While I was shopping I was shocked to find that the new model Pentax comparable to my old one runs around $110 compared to $500 I paid 5 years ago. I even thought about going with that brand again because it's been such a great camera, but I thought I'd give Nikon a try for a change.

I'm so excited to see my new trail camera! d :rolleyes:

D

I have a couple of coolpix cameras and love them. You will love being able to make 16X20 posters out of Number 7 negotiating the rocky stuff. Upload the image to Costco and for less than $10 they will make a poster for you. Good for you.

We love ours. Got it after I saw Sliders a while back. Very compact and handy!

Well, I've had my Nikon Coolpix L20 for almost a year and a half, and I've got to say it's a great little camera for a point and shoot unit. It's easy to operate, takes great pictures in a variety of conditions, and it has held up to being dropped in the dirt way better than my old Pentax did! I have accidentally abused the heck out of this camera, and it still works great. Currently I have to flick the lens opening when I turn it on to get the lens cover to open fully (due to being dropped in the dirt), and the lens cover doesn't fully close when I turn it off. But with the amount of accidental abuse inflicted on the thing, I'm impressed that's all that's wrong. My old Pentax had suffered no greater abuse, but had finally gotten where it couldn't auto-focus in many situations and the battery latch broke off.

The new Nikon L24 is priced about $20 more than I paid last year, but it seems improved quite a bit. Many of the functions located on the top of my unit are moved to within reach of your right thumb, which I think will make it easier to switch scene mode, zoom, menu and trash, on the new model.

attachment.php?attachmentid=613&stc=1&d=1307142264

At the current price of only $110.00 the new model is a bargain, and definetely my replacement choice when I make that purchase! d :rolleyes:

353_26240_L24_right.png

thanks for the update D. i'm glad it's not held up too shabby for you - i really have to say though, i think you should look next time at one of the ruggedized cameras!

both Olympus and Panasonic make ones that can be dropped, walked on, thrown in water, and frozen. the top-of-the-line versions of those are pricey, but they have more affordable ones too. the Stylus TG-xxx and TOUGH series are the Olympus models - you can get the TG-310 for ~$150 on the net. The Panasonic "rugged" ones are more expensive but get significantly better reviews as well.

now i have no personal experience with either of these lines, so they might take crap pics for all i know! however, i've had several Panasonic cameras and they have all taken excellent photos and even though not the "rugged" model, they held up to decent abuse. considering the environments we use our cameras in, my next point-n-shoot (if i ever kill my current Panasonic) will likely be one of these ruggedized models.

050111_rg_PanasonicLumixFT3_01.jpg

I went to buy another L20 at Wally World and they only carried the L24 so got one of them. we also us them at work and have real good luck with them. easy to use and down load pics etc. It would be nice to have one that bounces when dropped but so far I have dropped my old one several times and it keeps on working. someday I would like to get the ulta slim model thats about the size of a credit card and 1/2 thick so it fits in your pocket easier. i ende up paying $125 for it with a 4gb card. I especially like the fact u can use AA batteries it it.

I was at Office Max last week and found a close out on L22s. They had 2 of them left on sale for $54.00! I thought, "that's cheaper than having the old one looked at and cleaned" so on an impulse, I bought one. I'm going to really work hard at not dropping this one in the dirt. d :rolleyes:

The coolpix camera's are not too bad. Specially the newer versions.. I bought one years ago for the gf and she beat it up pretty good. Its now my car parts camera and she has a new Nikon.

Mine is 4 years old, missing screws, has a bad battery that doesnt fully charge.. but for $54 bux... youll be mroe than pleased

Does the Coolpix line have view finder vs just an LCD screen?