dzJeepChic

Clifford: dzJeepChic's '92 XJ [ongoing project]

Not sure if it was addressed, but base of the windshield on a brick like the XJ is a high pressure zone. You might be back feeding air into your engine bay with the hood vents. Could be why she's cool as a cucumber at low speed, but heats up on the freeway, as the airflow stalls since there's high pressure buildup in the bay. Try running some duct tape over the vents (and any holes at the back of the hood, and reinstall weather stripping if missing) to see if it cools off.

Other than that, check R value on the ground for your gauges and the sender. If you have a weak ground, or its back feeding voltage (check for voltage with the ignition on), it'll do screwy things to your gauge readout.

Epic thread though. So epic, I registered just to lend my $0.02. :D

Not sure if it was addressed, but base of the windshield on a brick like the XJ is a high pressure zone. You might be back feeding air into your engine bay with the hood vents. Could be why she's cool as a cucumber at low speed, but heats up on the freeway, as the airflow stalls since there's high pressure buildup in the bay. Try running some duct tape over the vents (and any holes at the back of the hood, and reinstall weather stripping if missing) to see if it cools off.

Other than that, check R value on the ground for your gauges and the sender. If you have a weak ground, or its back feeding voltage (check for voltage with the ignition on), it'll do screwy things to your gauge readout.

Epic thread though. So epic, I registered just to lend my $0.02. :D

Thanks for sharing that thought. We've actually conquered the over heating issues for the most part, but I'd be willing to test your theory just to see if it makes a difference. Thanks also for the props, appreciated!

I was taking pictures of our new Jeep the other day so I can start a build thread, and Clifford was all: "Mom! Mom! Mom! Mom! Take my picture too! Mom! Mom!" Who can resist that face?

DSCN9560.JPG

And the best you could do was this blurry pic? How long until Clifford goes up for sale?

And the best you could do was this blurry pic? How long until Clifford goes up for sale?

:D

Pictures of Clifford doing his thing at Hole-in-the-Rock trail last weekend:

DSCN0094.JPG

DSCN0180.JPG

DSCN0238.JPG

DSCN0169.JPG

Courtesy of theksmith:

IMG_7138.JPG

That's Clifford way up top in the lead:

IMG_7178.JPG

Poor Clifford! He has a driver's side front window stuck UP. :( It got stuck while we were in town today but G got it to go down by kind of wiggling the switch. But then I went to run errands and put it back up, where it is now stuck. :(

Poor Clifford! He has a driver's side front window stuck UP. :( It got stuck while we were in town today but G got it to go down by kind of wiggling the switch. But then I went to run errands and put it back up, where it is now stuck. :(
Most likely either the switch contacts are dirty, it needs a new window switch, or the connector has come loose. PS: If it needs a switch don't go the cheapie Chinese route. Used switches from junkyards are better than the currently available chinese crap cheapies... :P;)

just leave the three wires from the old switch hanging out and touch them together when you want it up or down, that way you can feel like you are hot-wiring a car each time!

Most likely either the switch contacts are dirty, it needs a new window switch, or the connector has come loose. PS: If it needs a switch don't go the cheapie Chinese route. Used switches from junkyards are better than the currently available chinese crap cheapies... :P;)

Since G won't have time to take it apart until Thanksgiving day, I bought a used switch from Knuckle Busters today. That way if it is the switch we're covered hopefully. Very likely the contacts are just dirty, but you never know.

just leave the three wires from the old switch hanging out and touch them together when you want it up or down, that way you can feel like you are hot-wiring a car each time!

Ha! G is so tempted!