dzJeepChic

Clifford: dzJeepChic's '92 XJ [ongoing project]

Just be clear... this is a hydraulic oil cooler, but you're running engine coolant through it, Basically replacing the heater core with this? I know they make oil coolers, so when I first read this I thought you were cooling the engine oil.

If you don't mind, could you take a picture of where you mounted it so I can have a better idea where you are talking about?

35 degree drop in temp, but how much of a drop do you see on the overall engine cooling? 35 degree would be a wonderful answer here. :D

Its actually a hydraulic oil cooler similar to this http://m.ebay.com/itm/132133940792.

One of the mechanics at work dead headed the hydraulic pump and blew a hole in the cooler and they were throwing it away. So I took it home and welded it. Built a shroud mounted a 12 inch fan on that comes on with the factory e fan.

I mounted it in the back by the factory shock tower, spaced about 2 inches from the body so it can pull air through it. There is about a 35 degree drop in temps coming in and out.

I just cut the heater circuit out and ran new lines straight to the cooler. Dont need the heater when its 105 to 110 outside.

If I didnt get this cooler for free I was going to buy a motorcycle radiator off ebay. You can get a nice aluminum one for 50 bucks.

I can take more pics of you want. And if you have a motorcycle salvage yard around you go take a peak at some radiators with fans mounted on them.

Something like this could be made to work.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/222374236987?_mwBanner=1

Just be clear... this is a hydraulic oil cooler, but you're running engine coolant through it, Basically replacing the heater core with this? I know they make oil coolers, so when I first read this I thought you were cooling the engine oil.

If you don't mind, could you take a picture of where you mounted it so I can have a better idea where you are talking about?

35 degree drop in temp, but how much of a drop do you see on the overall engine cooling? 35 degree would be a wonderful answer here. :D

Yes, the heater core is basically replaced with the cooler.

I will get some more pics over the weekend.

I am seeing 35 degree drop in temps through the auxiliary cooler. I am seeing a 15-25 degree drop in overall coolant temps.

Love it!

Reminds me of when we spent the night at that hotel in California where we removed fuses for theft deterrent:D

• Like 1

Love it!

Reminds me of when we spent the night at that hotel in California where we removed fuses for theft deterrent:D

LOL! :D

I did the fuse trick myself a couple months ago when I parked next to “America’s Most Wanted” at a Trailhead.

BTW: I love your creativity Diane.

When I wrote my trip report about our recon mission from Wickieup to Yucca & Parker trails (link to report), I didn't tell the whole story. I did mention the passenger door lock not working, but I left out the other parts about Clifford doing all sorts of silly stuff while we were gone.

Door Lock: As George was trying to figure out how to get to it inside the door, and what parts to remove, he just randomly tried the lock and the dang thing worked! Nothing wrong with it, it just decided not to work the one night we were at a hotel.

Cruise Control Fail and Speedometer Sideshow: On the way down to Parker from Lake Havasu City, the cruise control stopped working, and then the speedometer started doing this:

It did that all the way home! So George pulled apart all the connections from the Dakota Speed Controller to the speed sensor in the transfer case, cleaned them, added some electrical grease, and re-crimped them better, which seems to have fixed the problem.

Hiccups on the Trail: While we were on the trail in Parker, Clifford had several bouts of idling weird and just not running great. This cause me great anxiety since we were out there alone, and I had a hard time enjoying myself because of it. George said he realized he had never replaced ALL the sensors in the Jeep, so when we got home we ordered them, plus we bought new cap, rotor and plug wires.

So far he's replaced the Cap/Rotor/Wires, the Throttle Position Sensor, the Idle Control Valve and the Crankshaft Position Sensor. We're waiting for delivery of the Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor, the Oxygen Sensor, the Engine Coolant Temperature Sender and the Air Charge Temperature Sensor, which he will change out when they arrive.

We drove into town today and Clifford seems to be back to normal. My theory is that while we were driving to Wickieup, Clifford overheard George say: "So I'm basically done at the house and all caught up on the vehicles", and decided it was a prime time to get some TLC. ;)

KkuKJxM1bIsqoJ93PUdygfoeC4svLIyZsJSvBQ16mfV_EgQ6cwWtq0Fl6hT2ax5hk08PkNn8EuPbfy9zeoVThulQ0p_uj2Gb9zsncbU4CLwQTZd55e76ymycfdbLgY2V6wvPXrEOvbZuDO4u_5LszoswO93ZhvnZhmzBSMBmzP5Q2ouAcYElL8C40xoD_Fq7V3SDNFy_8vgrhuq42PQ01k5IhIjewRIoTqWskDAMm3SYXy-pgESxXjuxNjqFv6xxIQusFX5sucLgPTLX0TsFvmnkBbr3SSly8Yw4BDVsn3_Z8G_Mtcjxpq0czJ81R0Q5odT0LoH02lDsXJKbrXjfy48hu2CZgtn-eH_RP6VB-45Tple5DkH7tNQ8H4BHLBdmy5_mwL5EA27lndxXttZDIvE9oXsGWEmvU0NJwKTcgRI-n779KhY1_NoYFvElNrAaD7oFpvW3eU84zoDxIWY0VVWAq1nUigTZe3Bkt4s4WGdOjosls3pMwQjKjWebZeZnqqFrFFP9yAAHN4FNFpMp6avSw9lZQ9a1YflEAv_HIEddXw4oi9xV6E2r813XdO6aquDgECOwgXrOy-J_NTuXdNHA7npdm6vCENR3mSL8f9d8riNpeoqzvG-VenkDI4sy2-1E303oVILgbp6hm8yDCRlOOrEahNl6D_H4=s800

Clifford was a little under the weather, but he looked Marvelous!

When you say "bouts of idling weird" do you mean low idle or sporadic idle, jumping up and down?

I ask because I had idle issues at Cinders 2 years ago, you were riding with me, mine idled very low and would stall if I did not keep my foot on the gas.

My fix here & here.

Must be a Jeep thing:rolleyes: