dzJeepChic

Clifford: dzJeepChic's '92 XJ [ongoing project]

made me think of Clifford's many unlabeled switches.... 🤣

brake-lights.jpg

• Haha 5

LOL! Problem is, mine aren't labeled. George has them memorized, but I never know what I'm turning on, it's just a random guess. 🤣

It's the time of the season for the ECCM!

20210430_131257.jpg

• Like 1

Well, that looks like some fun! All just to get the steering gear box out. We've got a rebuilt Benchworks SGB waiting for us to pick up. 

20210504_122219.jpg

• Like 5

Weird thing happened on the way home from Lake Havasu today. On I-40 we went over a bumpy section and uneven surface on a bridge and Clifford conked out completely! George managed to coast across a gore point onto the shoulder next to an on ramp. 

We tried to start it and the starter engaged but it wouldn't turn over. Got out and lifted the hood to see if we could see something obvious. Tested the fuel rail by pushing in the Schrader valve and he got squirted in the face, so that wasn't it. Wiggled the distributor and double checked plug and coil wires. 

After 20 minutes or so George happened to notice the connector to the distributor was broken. He plugged in what was left of the broken connector and viola! The Jeep started right up. He secured it with a zip tie to get us home, and we were on our way. 

Now we are looking to replace the broken connector plug thing, any ideas where to get one of these?

20211023_160631.jpg

20211023_160624.jpg

20211023_160532.jpg

• Wow 1

1 hour ago, dzJeepChic said:

Weird thing happened on the way home from Lake Havasu today. On I-40 we went over a bumpy section and uneven surface on a bridge and Clifford conked out completely! George managed to coast across a gore point onto the shoulder next to an on ramp. 

We tried to start it and the starter engaged but it wouldn't turn over. Got out and lifted the hood to see if we could see something obvious. Tested the fuel rail by pushing in the Schrader valve and he got squirted in the face, so that wasn't it. Wiggled the distributor and double checked plug and coil wires. 

After 20 minutes or so George happened to notice the connector to the distributor was broken. He plugged in what was left of the broken connector and viola! The Jeep started right up. He secured it with a zip tie to get us home, and we were on our way. 

Now we are looking to replace the broken connector plug thing, any ideas where to get one of these?

20211023_160631.jpg

20211023_160624.jpg

20211023_160532.jpg

Try these guys,

https://powerwerx.com/anderson-power-powerpole-sb-connectors

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dzJeepChic said:

20211023_160631.jpg

20211023_160624.jpg

20211023_160532.jpg

What Diane meant to say was the engine and starter turned over but did not start.

• Thanks 1

@dzJeepChic  

Diane,  

Im not sure where you would find an exact match for the factory connector.  Maybe the OB1 Jeep Spa?!

I do however have a decent assortment of matching connectors, seals, and terminals for different gauge wires.  I complied a kit at Chrysler Engineering during a project I was assigned to in the late 80’s or early 90’s.  The kit contained everything I could need to work on the air suspension system I was responsible for.

51F14D4F-C089-404B-9DBB-8F0FBB0A9BF2.thumb.jpeg.9ccdfe2cb65021812a0d9c5299a6f276.jpeg

There are several styles of two wire connectors shown in the close up  below (gray and red seals).  I’m not sure what wire gauge your Jeep connector is using  but I’d think those two wire connectors would handle 16 gauge wires.

71FB3E15-A1E7-4974-8906-3719CDB62999.thumb.jpeg.ba805eec2bba733d2cb68c062ffa5e15.jpeg

If you needed to go 14 gauge or heavier you could use a mating four way and install factory pins in the unused holes in the rear seals.

The film canisters have a wide assortment of terminal pins for different gauge wires.

Now that you’ve moved to the other side of the earth I’d be happy to see if pony express comes out that far.

Seriously,  I’d be glad to drop a few option in the mail if George thinks they might work.

BTW. Nice roadside find and repair George!  

Edited by jgaz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Thanks for the link @Stacey and Scott!

Thanks for digging those out @jgaz Jim! That's a very kind and generous offer! By the picture it doesn't look like there's one that matches, but it gave us the idea to do some googling. We found that we can order the Distributor Pickup Coil for it at lots of places. Just need to make sure that we get the right one. We also have a spare Mopar distributor (somewhere in those boxes) in the garage that we can install and fix this one for a spare, worst case scenario.

Just an fyi, I was able to buy an entire distributor for Barbie, complete with pick up, cap and rotor for $35 from autozone.  I put a better quality cap and rotor on it, and it been running fine. 

• Thanks 1