dzJeepChic

Clifford: dzJeepChic's '92 XJ [ongoing project]

Diane,  Your last post reminded me of a guy I used to work with.

When a job was finished he’d say to the boss, “ It wasn’t hard, I watched Jim do it!” 🤣🤣

Looks good!

• Haha 3

Ran into our first hiccup. G didn't order rotors thinking he'd use our existing not stopping to think old ones aren't drilled for 5x5.5 bolt pattern.

He called Quick Performance AND GOT SOMEBODY ON THE PHONE! (Sorry for screaming but sometimes it seems like it's just so rare).

So, $175.00 later, it's Thursday and the wheels are turning. And there's plenty to do in the meantime. pins&needles!  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dzJeepChic said:

Ran into our first hiccup. G didn't order rotors thinking he'd use our existing not stopping to think old ones aren't drilled for 5x5.5 bolt pattern.

He called Quick Performance AND GOT SOMEBODY ON THE PHONE! (Sorry for screaming but sometimes it seems like it's just so rare).

So, $175.00 later, it's Thursday and the wheels are turning. And there's plenty to do in the meantime. pins&needles!  

PM'd you...  ;)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, dzJeepChic said:

i'm confused - didn't the previous axle have drum brakes? and are you changing bolt patterns (and wheels)?

Edited by theksmith

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, theksmith said:

i'm confused - didn't the previous axle have drum brakes? and are you changing bolt patterns (and wheels)?

Yes, they had drum brakes, but the bolt pattern on the Currie axles was 5x4.5, and we had to use wheel spacers/adapters to get to the 5x5.5. At the time we also needed the wheel spacers to achieve the same width as the front axle, which is no longer needed.

And to be more clear, the new ones are on the way, crossing fingers they're here next week ish?

Edited by dzJeepChic
  • Like 1

is the location of the pinion yoke much different with that 3rd-member design - i.e. do you need to shorten or lengthen the driveshaft?

11 minutes ago, theksmith said:

is the location of the pinion yoke much different with that 3rd-member design - i.e. do you need to shorten or lengthen the driveshaft?

No, we totally lucked out. The driveshaft fits perfectly.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Mas progresso. G welded the bracketry and began painting the housing. He also refurbished the leaf springs by lubricating the bushings and replacing some of the nylon sliders between the leafs that were broken. 

We called Quick Performance this morning to check the status of the new rotors, and they should be here Wednesday. So we should be able to complete the heat cycles by this weekend no problem.

20220814_163515.jpg

20220814_163731.jpg

20220814_163901.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

9 hours ago, dzJeepChic said:

20220814_163731.jpg

Don't forget to install that wiper blade! :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, 4x4tographer said:

Don't forget to install that wiper blade! :D 

I know right? My usual MO is to get halfway to where I'm going and have to go buy them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2