Sign in to follow this  
samwhite

North Rim Grand Canyon Photo Trip 2014

North Rim Grand Canyon Photo Trip 2014

Late last year I was approached by some friends in Michigan to see if I could do a Jeep trip to the Canyon. One of them had it on her bucket list and she wanted to make it a photographic trip. I don’t need any excuse to do a Grand Canyon trip so I set it up.

May 17th. We all met at noon at Pipe Springs. Some of the Michigan contingent took a wrong turn near Bryce Canyon and ran a bit late but we all arrived pretty much on time. I had Lucy and it was too hot to leave her in the Jeep so we stayed in the shade near the visitor’s center. The rest took the tour. Attending were:

Pat and Sam White

Chris Holdwick a cousin of Pat’s

Sister Ann the photographer and bucketier

Pam a nurse who has worked with both Chris and Sister Ann

Tim and Devon

Steve and Karen

After lunch we started down the road towards Torroweap and the map is shown below.

ScreenShot2014-05-26at31615PM_zpse084744c.png

Pam and Srs. Ann picked up a rental car in Vegas which I had hoped we could park somewhere. But we had too many cancellations and so it had to make the trip.

There really wasn’t much of a problem until we got inside the Park. Steve got out and spotted Pam over the rocks. While the others had some issues with the road conditions, Pam had a blast.

DSC_2432_zps2d3ec0c2.jpg

We got to camp around 4pm. I had secured the group campsite #10 but the rental was not up to the final few hills. So we unloaded what was needed and move to the camp. I should note for future trips: There are ten sites of which nine are first. They are all strung together around a rocky ledge, which takes some skill to drive on. As it turned out Steve, Karen, Tim and Devon made their camps around the corner from us so there was plenty of room. I knew in advance that I was the only one who knew how to set up the tents and while the others wanted to help, I was the only one who could get everything in its place. If we weren’t up against the setting sun that would have not been a big deal but the reason for the trip was photography. Around 5pm I got everything up enough so we could drive the remaining mile out to the overlook. Below are photos of Srs. Ann and the Toroweap area.

DSC_2434_zps88beed0e.jpg

DSC_2436_zpsc72506c8.jpg

DSC_2438_zpsfa290f4c.jpg

DSC_2443_zps908ee6b0.jpg

DSC_2446_zps5f0dfd2f.jpg

The next morning I had help from Tim, Steve, Karen and Devon so breaking down camp was much easier. We all then drove out to the overlook and took pictures and explored.

DSC_2452_zpsa136510c.jpg

DSC_2464_zps3968f66e.jpg

DSC_2465_zps2aff766f.jpg

DSC_2472_zpsc7e03525.jpg

We returned via the same road where we left the others who were going on to Zion and Coral Pink Sand Dunes. We proceeded to the Kaibab Lodge and checked in. It was the third or fourth day they were open and it reminded me of the John Cleese series of Fawlty Towers. I ordered eggs for breakfast but they didn’t have any. The next day they could not seat anyone for breakfast as they only had one server although they had two others doing other stuff. But they did have eggs. It was cold during the night and I am so glad I opted for a heated room. We had campground reservations and would have survived but it was much nicer in the very rustic cabin.

The next day we went out to the standard tourist sights of Point Imperial and Cape Royal and those pictures are shown below along with a map of our travels.

ScreenShot2014-06-03at105356AM_zps5bd6975e.png

DSC_2482_zps9786c026.jpg

DSC_2480_zps9ad99640.jpg

Srs. Ann taking a photo of Angles Window

DSC_2494_zps29eb5e8e.jpg

DSC_2497_zps1c67a83f.jpg

The next day I took them on the dirt roads to the Western viewpoints. If you look closely you will see a mistake. It was very windy and more importantly between the two markers was a downed tree. We had to leave the rental behind but we got the Jeep through

DSC_2504_zps463eb179.jpg

DSC_2507_zps661b83c6.jpg

The plan was to visit Lee’s Ferry on the way home. But Srs. Ann miscounted her pills and Chris had a bad cold. So we spent most of the morning in Kanab returning via the new version of 89 which, If I must say so, is pretty nice. We stopped at Cameron for lunch. Srs. Ann had it on her list to pick up a Navajo blanket until she saw the prices. Somehow I got everyone to make up a story and we were able to pick one out for her. She was most grateful. The smoke was so bad from the Slide Fire that driving was dangerous and so we stayed at Cameron that night. The next day we went over to Waputki NM and then on to Sunset Crater. Shown below are some of the pictures.

DSC_2510_zpsf6fcd790.jpg

DSC_2517_zps29e801bf.jpg

DSC_2520_zpse72e2ace.jpg

DSC_2522_zps8256abd3.jpg

DSC_2533_zpsfccbb1fb.jpg

We said goodbye to Pam and Srs. Ann south of Flagstaff and got home around noon. It took another day to clean up everything.

nice trip!

Sam! What great pics!

And it was a real joy to meet Chris, Pam and Sister Anne! Hopefully they can come back sometime!

smiles, ladybug

Great report Sam… We had fun as well, and enjoyed meeting your guests… ;)

Great report and beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing.

Very nice pics! Normally I'm not afraid of heights but some of those pics looking down the river made me feel a little bit funny.

Wow Sam your photography is amazing. I know a contest you should enter... :rolleyes:

I agree your photos are way better then any I have taken out there. Thanks for clearing up the mystery (at least to me) of the Buick. I saw Steve spotting it in some earlier photos but I was thinking that unless they really improved the trail in the last three years it wasn't going to make it to the campground.

BTW: According to an article I read, you will need a permit for all of the campsites at Toroweap starting Sept. 1, not just for the group site.

Thanks for posting.

I agree your photos are way better then any I have taken out there. Thanks for clearing up the mystery (at least to me) of the Buick. I saw Steve spotting it in some earlier photos but I was thinking that unless they really improved the trail in the last three years it wasn't going to make it to the campground.

BTW: According to an article I read, you will need a permit for all of the campsites at Toroweap starting Sept. 1, not just for the group site.

Thanks for posting.

Correct...The guy at Pipe Spring told us the same thing....permits required starting September 1

smiles, ladybug