Sign in to follow this  
Curly

Wheeling alone -cautionary tale.

I wrote this on our face book page in response to that article:

If you must go out alone (I know, we've all done it), always bring lots of water (have some packed in your vehicle somewhere), pack some emergency food under your seats, get a SPOT device, get a HAM radio (You're allowed to use it in an emergency even if you're not licensed although the license is simple to get), get a GPS unit and learn how to use it. Short version: Always prepare for the worst!

We learned a long time ago that 'stuff happens'. It's really easy to stash extra water and food in your vehicle. We also generally throw in a few jackets - even in the summer time - because if you need to spend the night, you'll need your jacket. There are so many ways to not become a victim.

To be prepared is very important. I suggests to buy a two way satellite Messager instead of a Spot device, because this way you can chat to family or GEOS response center.

delorme-inreach-zweiwege-satelliten-kommunikation.jpg

But a spot is better than nothing for shure. Just for those who plan to buy such a device, they should consider too these newer 2-Way Satellite Messager devices. This way friends and family can contact you if something needs your attention. Too it allows livetracking and so on.

So you can call for that help you need, not just sent an "SOS" signal.

Also a strong laser pointer can help you out there, to get "far away" attention at night.

Unfortunately these satphone contracts are too expensive to hold just as "standby" help :rolleyes:

Surfy

• Like 1

It's the "no water" that got me. Everybody should carry at least a couple of gallons of water in their vehicle even if they're not off-roading.

It's the "no water" that got me. Everybody should carry at least a couple of gallons of water in their vehicle even if they're not off-roading.

exactly, my jeep doesn't leave the garage without an ice chest and I always have a bunch of frozen water bottles in the garage freezer that I throw in.