Sign in to follow this  
Offroad Passport

2014 Annual Cinders 'Grand Falls' poll

Questions about proposed visit to Grand Falls  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Questions about proposed visit to Grand Falls

• I already bought my permit for Grand Falls
    • I DID NOT already buy my permit for Grand Falls
    • I want to go to Grand Falls (apply for permit and pay $12 per person)?
    • I DO Not want to go to Grand Falls (apply for permit and pay $12 per person)?
    • I have been to Grand Falls before
    • I have never been to Grand Falls

We are re-assessing our choice of Grand Falls visit during the Annual Cinders Event this year.

There was some confusion in obtaining the permits required by the Navajo Indian tribe, but that is been settled.

However, the cost of the permit has gone from a nominal $5 per person to $12 per person.

A thought that keeps occurring to us is that there might not have been any recent rain when we visit, meaning Grand Falls would be dry. There's no guarantee either way.

We need a little input from you guys. If you are signed up for the Cinders Annual Event this year:

Did you already buy your permit?

Do you want to go to Grand Falls (apply for permit and pay $12 per person)?

Have you ever been to Grand Falls?

I've never been to Grand Falls. I think $12 per person ($24 for the both of us) is kind of high especially if it's dry. Too bad we can't buy the permits right before.

Discuss!

I voted options 2, 4, 6.

FYI, it's "poll". I was trying to figure out what a "planning pole" looked like.

I voted options 2, 4, 6.

FYI, it's "poll". I was trying to figure out what a "planning pole" looked like.

Ha! Thanks, I fixed it.

I have never been and would like to someday - but I have that same concern of it being dry. Are you conidering other adventure ideas if this doesn't work out?

I have never been and would like to someday - but I have that same concern of it being dry. Are you conidering other adventure ideas if this doesn't work out?

As a matter of fact, we are! I've been in communication with underlyverbose Jeff to see if he can think of something.

I have never been, but don't really want to go unless there is water. I'm down with what ever the majority wants to do.

Benny.

I have a book called Arizona Journey Giude and it says the following about the Grand Falls:

Best Time to Visit: During Spring run off or in the summer after a nice, heavy rain.

The Falls are indeed grand if they are working, which most of the year they are not, at least not very well. The Little Colorado is one of many minor tributaries of the mighty Colorado of Grand Canyon fame and, by and large, is not comparable to it. For most of the year, it's a small-to-nonexistent creek with barely anything tracing its course and little coming over the cliff. But in the spring runoff and during the summer rain showers, the 185 foot high falls come into their own, forming an impressive picturesque sight. Best months are usually March and April. Check with the visitor center in Flagstaff before making the long drive out.

Jim and I went there a few years ago. There was confusion on the permit as the agent showed up at the campground in the middle of the day. We went anyway. We saw a few vehicles on the way and while at the Falls. No one stopped and asked for our permit. We were there over an hour. It is a pretty interesting place no matter if there is water or not.

Sam