Sign in to follow this  
ob1jeeper

Cooling off Ladybugs TJL…

Steve: You are one awesome dude!

And I am one lucky Ladybug!!

I am nearing completion of the retrofit of Ladybug's winch and front bumper. As you may recall, the goal was to both lower the winch, and move it forward to reduce restrictions to the cooling airflow for the radiator…

BEFORE pic showing Winch & Bumper locations… Notice not only the height, but how tight to the grill the winch is in this pic..

IMG_4254.jpg

And where I am at the moment. I still need to re-mount the fog lamps, (which will be mounted on the tabs outboard of the hoop) but as you can see, theres a significant improvement and clearance for the airflow into the grille/radiator… And yes… The bumper IS different… :P

IMG_1304.jpg

IMG_1306.jpg

IMG_1305.jpg

And I am one very lucky Ladybug!

And Gracie is one very pretty cool jeep!

smiles to all!

ladybug

OB1, did you remove the win h mount plate and mount the winch to your new bumper?

Looking good! I like the low profile.

OB1, did you remove the win h mount plate and mount the winch to your new bumper?

Grunt,

The original winch plate that came with the WARN winch, was shaped sorta like a hip roof, and raised the winch ~ 3inches above the top of the frame rails, and left the winch SO tight against the grille, that the heavy wire cabling sheathing that powers the winch, was wearing thru against the grill slats, and damaging the grille as well. :(. I removed both the winch plate, AND the tubular front bumper.

I then fabricated a flat winch mounting plate from 1/4" stock. The finished plate fits just below the tops of the frame rails, and approx 1/4-3/8 inch above the tubular front crossmember, such that the winch mounting bolts straddle the tubular c/mbr, with a bias towards the front.

I then modified a front bumper(*) I had, by lengthening the mounting brackets to move it forward ~ 1.5", and then welded the winch plate to the bumper along the front of the plate (to the back side of the bumper tube) and to the lengthened bumper mount brackets.

Then I added a couple stanchions to the top surface of the bumper tube for the roller fairlead, and also angled the previously-vertical hoop approx. 2.5-3 inches forward at the top, such that it is just ahead of the fairlead. Not overly happy with how the fairlead sits partially in front of the bumper, and may add some additional tubing or ?? to better protect the fairlead, but for now it will do.

note: (*) - (the front bumper I used appears to be a Tomken, but I am not 100% on that ID, as it was on a Jeep TJ I had bought to flip, years ago, and the new owner wanted stock bumpers)