Sign in to follow this  
lofreqjeff

Saguaro Lake Coves - Butcher Jones

A few of us are going out to the coves this Saturday. Meet up is at 9am in the back of the Butcher Jones parking lot. The tentative plan is to go right to the 3rd cove then venture over to the next 2 after that then hang out for a while. If anyone is interested, we can stop and the first 2 coves on the way back to the BJ parking lot.

There is an older thread where this is being discussed with more details:

http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2541&page=3

Please let me know if you are interested! Right now it looks like there is only 3 vehicles going so far.

Jeff. What time to do think that we will be be back at Butcher Jones that afternoon?

Jeff. What time to do think that we will be be back at Butcher Jones that afternoon?

Depends on how much time we want to spend at the cove(s) - typically I get back to the parking lot around 4-4:30ish if we stop at the first 2 coves on the way back.

That works for me!

I would love to go out there again But I am going to see my grandson play basketball tomorrow ...Just camped in cove 3 maybe 4 i don't know a few weekends ago :-)

IMG_0049.thumb.jpg.f192d6b23be08adb5e98ef70e76b807d.jpg

hope you kids had fun, any pics?

Thank you Jeff for taking us to the coves and spotting up and down those hills I would probably have not done if we were on our own. We had a great time.

Thank you Jeff for taking us to the coves and spotting up and down those hills I would probably have not done if we were on our own. We had a great time.

Anytime! we had a great time out there. Next time I won't forget the canopy and we'll have to try some of the harder stuff :)

I'm thinking of doing Gila River Loop from in the Funtreks book - I have been out there a few times. It takes you to the backside of the Coke Ovens area where we can hang out in the river, hike up and around the old train bridge, walk through the train tunnel, even take a hike over to the Coke Ovens if we want.

Some pics from last time I was out there:

100_2355.jpg

100_2373.jpg

IMG_9612.jpg

and the truck that was buried:

IMG_9541.jpg

Hey Jeff,

the book says that's a 3-4 hr run. Are you thinking day run or a campout? If a day run we could devirginize the Kamikaze.

Dale

Hey Jeff,

the book says that's a 3-4 hr run. Are you thinking day run or a campout? If a day run we could devirginize the Kamikaze.

Dale

Just a day trip, its pretty quick and easy to get to the river - I don't recall it taking anywhere near 3-4 hours. Maybe 45 min each way to get from the Boulders to the water.

It is such an easy trail that I'm thinking about taking the new-to-us 4Runner out there for its devirginizing trip since its getting a lift and tires on Friday. We just need to figure out a date that works. This weekend we have plans to do some serious work on our house, then next weekend we're going out of town, so the 9th would be the next chance we'd have to head out there.