Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

Is the 2015 4Runner TRD Pro an FJ Cruiser replacement?

FRN_MY14_0035_V001_EZ.jpg

2014 is the last year of the FJ Cruiser. i recently read an article saying that Toyota expects the 4Runner TRD Pro to fill the same niche that the FJ did... what do you think - is it a worthy replacement?

http://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/trdpro.html

2015-toyota-4runner-trd-pro-on-trail.jpg

2015-toyota-4runner-trd-pro-with-tacoma.jpg

I actually like the 4runner TURD Pro, but again, you're looking at $50k for a base and then you add from there. I can't afford to do that and then take it out on the trails and rocks.

I don't really care for the front end. One advantage that the FJC had over the 4-runner was price. Mine was only $21K with 6000 miles on it.

isn't the current 4runner a fair bit larger vehicle than the FJ too? the FJ fit on those smaller "jeep trails"

The 2010+ 4Runner IS bigger than the any previous 4Runner and the FJ. I am a die-hard 4Runner fan, but I agree with Loren: starting at $50k, no thank you. I can't see how they would think it is a suitable replacement for any off road ready vehicle at that price point. I just got a 2006 4Runner and there is no way it will be seeing any of the kinds of trails they think people should be willing to take a $50k off road vehicle - and I paid $30k less.

I had a chance to drive all the TRD Pro trucks at the media launch in early May. My favorite of the three was the TRD Pro 4Runner.

With that said, the price of admission isn't cheap and as you noted, $50k for an off-road truck seriously limits the buyers' market to those who have the dough to play. The alternative is to pick-up the suspension a la carte at Toyota dealers this fall. The suspension is what makes this truck so attractive as it was purpose-built specifically for this vehicle and handles like a dream in both on-road and off-road applications.

You can read my overview of each truck in the latest issue of OutdoorX4. Print copies are available at most major book retailers or you can pick-up a copy or subscription from the website at http://www.outdoorx4.com.