Sign in to follow this  
dpcarriere

Which transceiver

There's a lot of good hardware on the market these days and I'm looking for my first mobile HAM for my FJC. One of the guys said to me it's kinda like the Ford/Chevy/Dodge argument. I can see that. If that's any sort of criteria I recently sold my Dodge Hemi Magnum, with a tear in my eye. Obviously I like horsepower. Yeah, it went to a GOOD new owner.

From what I've seen so far the Yaesu FT-7900R is a decent unit for the $260. But I'm looking for advice here from the pros. Any and all input is appreciated. Of course along with it I'll need an antenna.

OK, I'm ready!

Kamikaze

Can't go wrong with any of the Yaesu mobile rigs. 2m is plenty for jeep use but then they'll just be talking about you on 70cm so might as well get the dual-band. Looks like plenty of 7900 models in the 250-260 range on eBay.

Curious if you ended up getting a new mobile rig? I'm now looking into one for more power than my handheld baofeng. The last holiday trip just convinced me I need more juice to communicate properly. I could hear Kris while they were at Fountain Hills and I was at Bush Hiway and 87 but noone can hear me lol.

Look at Yaesu FT-2900R $189.95 ($159.95 after rebate);

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-010078

Agreed. The 2900 is simple and easy to use, which was one of the things I was looking for, AND it has a stellar reputation for durability, plus an attractive price. ;)

Ham Radio Outlet (HRO.com) was in my experience, a good place to shop/buy… Knowledgeable folks and great pricing. ;)

Curious if you ended up getting a new mobile rig? I'm now looking into one for more power than my handheld baofeng. The last holiday trip just convinced me I need more juice to communicate properly. I could hear Kris while they were at Fountain Hills and I was at Bush Hiway and 87 but noone can hear me lol.

i can't remember if you ended up with an external antenna for the HAM or not? that will make a huge difference if not.

also i heard you respond to George when we were approaching Bush highway, i'm not sure why he didn't hear you, perhaps he was directly under the bridge when you transmitted. (and he doesn't have an external antenna either).

don't get me wrong, 5 watts versus 30+ does make a big difference too, just don't want to see you spend money if you don't need to!

Agreed. The 2900 is simple and easy to use, which was one of the things I was looking for, AND it has a stellar reputation for durability, plus an attractive price. ;)

Ham Radio Outlet (HRO.com) was in my experience, a good place to shop/buy… Knowledgeable folks and great pricing. ;)

I have the FT2900R/E and I am very happy with it. I keep it on low power but could switch to 75 watts to get out in an emergency. I have a cheap antenna that I purchase locally which is ample for trail use.

I did install the external ham antenna in lieu of a cb setup. For the CB I have a handheld for now until I figure out that antenna situation. A mobile rig has always been in plan from the beginning, just wanted to see how far I can stretch the baofeng. I listen in on nets when we're traveling and the times I've tried to join in my signal was not too good.

I'm leaning towards a dual band so I can listen in on the emergency frequencies on 70cm.

After all my research I ended up with the Yaesu FT-2900R. It seemed to be the best bang for the buck. The install isn't finished, I haven't really started on my liscense yet, so I'm not in a rush to finish the install. I tucked the unit face up on the drivers side of the trans tunnel. I think it will work well there. I didn't want it hanging from the overhead so the tunnel mount seemed to be the best compromise for the FJ. I'll put the mike within easy reach with no stretching to reach for it. With all the controls on the mike I don't see a need to put the unit within easy reach, all everyday tuning and selection can be done with the mike. We'll see how it all works out when the unit is operational and I've used it for a while. Any install can be changed if you really need/want want to. If any FJ's want to see the install to see if they like it come on over. I'll take any and all input before it's finalized. I have yet to drag in the antenna cabling so it's not permanent yet. And main power is still on the engine firewall side.