Sign in to follow this  
dpcarriere

FJ's

OK, who's got FJ's? I'll start this thread. We need to band together to defend ourselves against the Jeep group. Seriously, we should trade tips and notes. I'm about to start a couple projects. 1) OEM rear hitch and 2) replacing OEM wheel studs with ARP and open ended nuts. Then I'll stuff a HAM in the FJ once I figure out which one to get.

Yea, those Jeepers are cruel with all of their fancy-pants trails like The Rubicon and Moab, leaving all of old Smoyota drivers at home. The Tonto Basin trip was the first one that I've been on where I wasn't the only FJC in the group.

I've done the OEM hitch and would be interested in your Ham install. I still recommend that you do the Old Man Emu 2 -2 1/2" lift".

Marcus

We love you Shmoyota guys.

G :cool::):rolleyes:

Hi Marcus,

I'm holding out on the lift kit. 2 1/2" should be enough to start messing with caster alignment. If it does that means upper "A" arms. That means you might as well get a new front shock kit. And so it starts. I've been down that road and I know what's in store for one's checkbook. I did just fine on the Cabin Run, that was a good test.

And we love our Shmoyotas. I get to my destination with the A/C on full blast, in comfortable seats, driving 75 on the freeway unless I'm in a hurry. Just finished the hitch today. Will fix Shmoyota's dumb wheel lug problems soon. Then I'll tackle my communication issues. With those projects behind me it will be time for another scotch. Ahhhh.

Hey Marcus,

Just discovered that installing a HAM is not such a trivial pursuit. You should have a dual battery system. Dual batteries should not be simply installed in parallel. And with a HAM you shouldn't use a relay isolator, too much drop across most relay isolators steals a lot of power from the HAM. The best way is with a solid state relay system - I'm researching that at the moment. The cash flow starts!!

I installed a Nation Luna dual battery system about 5 years ago. I like it, but there are probably better systems out there now days.

Hey Marcus,

Just discovered that installing a HAM is not such a trivial pursuit. You should have a dual battery system. Dual batteries should not be simply installed in parallel. And with a HAM you shouldn't use a relay isolator, too much drop across most relay isolators steals a lot of power from the HAM. The best way is with a solid state relay system - I'm researching that at the moment. The cash flow starts!!

you don't need dual batteries for a mobile 2M radio unless you plan to talk on it non-stop at full power for a couple days without the vehicle running

Thanks Kris,

good news. In that case I'll just dedicate my research to what unit to get. Thanks!

I like the FJs fun to wheel with on the mild stuff, only issue I or anyone I know of has had with them is when the FJ club created the the by pass on Elvis out in FJ. There is a lot of potential on those things if you don't mind some trail scars, seen some really fun builds.