Sign in to follow this  
reybie

Sleeping mat recommendation

Looking for an entry level mat we can use in the Jeep to sleep on. It doesn't have to be super comfortable, something that doesn't take too much space. It would be great if available locally so we can check it out, no air mattress please :)

The folded sleeping bag we used last time didn't work too well.

Thanks Scott! We'll have to check that one out.

I also like the self-inflating pads. Picked up this one at Sports Authority for about $30. If it is just for camping and not backpacking, I'd get a nice thick one...http://www.sportsauthority.com/ALPINE-DESIGN-Large-Self-Inflating-Air-Pad/product.jsp?productId=16626316&cp=3077577.3085044.12266577.2280724&parentPage=family

i had that same REI 3.5" pad and recently sold to G. Aimee loved it but i found it still a little thin since i'm a side sleeper. probably the best thing you can get without spending a fair bit more, definitely a bargain at the sale price.

Awesome feedback. This will give us a great starting point. There's a sports authority close by so that would be our first stop.

I have one of the REI 2.5" pads and one of the 3.5" pads. I bought the first one (the 3.5") about 7 years ago and it has held up very well. The first time I used it was on a concrete floor, and it was very comfortable. I think the REI pads are of the same quality as the thermarest pads, but less expensive. They also come with an oversized nylon bag that makes it pretty easy to roll up and get it back in the bag.