Sign in to follow this  
Curly

Shop radio speakers- input needed

I have an XM radio stereo (SKYFI) that I keep in my barn/workshop. It does a good job, but I cannot hear it if I am in the woodshop or outside in my work area. I am hoping to set up some wireless speakers but I am very out of touch with what is out there. I don't have bluetooth or any i-anything, and that is what most of my searching leads to.

The radio does have a speaker jack (mini) in the front. I have attached a pic of what the radio looks like.

I would like to find an inexpensive set of wireless speakers that won't mind getting covered in sawdust or grease/dust/etc. I would also like them to be powered vs a battery/rechargeable system, because you know when I want to listen to them the battery will be dead.:( Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Curly

697456736_xmskyfi.jpg.78c88f4d5521d25432f72285523a7e84.jpg

Hello Curly,

You will need a Bluetooth transmitter that plugs into the head phone jack, then Bluetooth speakers that plug into a wall socket ...

There are a number of products out there, here is just one:

http://www.amazon.com/Miccus-Mini-jack-Transmitter-Headphones-Receivers/dp/B002HHLOWC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Let me know if you need more help.

Mike

Tim,

Also, I noticed that you need to find a transmitter that will recharge when plugged into the radio's 3.5mm jack ... the only ones that I found used a battery that needed to be replaced when discharged.

There are some Bluetooth transmitters that use USB connections that will charge while being used.

I looked at your SKYFI manual and did not see a USB connection port on that brand of radio.

An FM modulator is also an option. Just tune any portable FM radio or stereo system to the transmitted frequency from the modulator. http://www.amazon.com/Crane-FM2-Digital-Spectrum-Transmitter/dp/B005GUQ0FI/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1410325937&sr=1-9&keywords=Digital+FM+Transmitter

Thanks for the input guys! I am going to try the FM transmitter since I already have 2 other radios in the areas I want the speakers in. If it works, I won't have to buy speakers.

Curly

Just an update, I ordered the FM unit Chris recommended. It came today. Out of the box it would only transmit about 5 feet clearly and up to 20 feet with lots of static. I did the 'mod' mentioned in the online reviews and it works great! I can receive it outside the barn in the work area and in the wood shop with the door closed. Not bad for $45. Of course, Murphy's law had to strike. When I went to adjust the FM frequency on the old radio outside (came with the house) the tuner knob broke and it wouldn't pick up any stations at all. $25 at Wally world and all is good again.

Curly

Glad it worked out for you! I have used an in-car FM modulator before and it worked well, but obviously it didn't have to transmit very far. I noticed the comments on this unit and the "mod" to make it transmit further. Thanks for reporting back. I'll keep this unit in mind for future use.