Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

on board air and dual batteries in a WJ

Good stuff. George:cool::D

couple updates now that i've had this system a while...

own-bubble-solution-800X800.jpg

- the slow leak down: pumped up to full pressure and then drizzled some of brady's bubble blowing solution onto every joint till i found one blowing bubbles! i was worried with such a slow leak that i wouldn't see the bubbles, but they puffed right up! that particular connection just needed another full turn tighter and problem solved

14DOTReinforcedAirLine_2.jpg

comp_fitting.jpg

- one day while on the trail i suddenly hear a POP and then HISSSSSSSSS!! well on all the connections coming from the compressor up to the 1 way valve i used quick-connect press-in fittings, then after the 1 way valve on nearly everything that had to hold pressure i used 1/4" black plastic air-brake line from napa with compression fittings... except for part of a run from the tank to the final exterior quick-connect where i plug in my air hose for airing up, running tools, etc... on that one part of the run i had used barbed brass fittings and a 1/2" air hose with hose clamps... well the hose clamp gave way and the hose shot off eventually! lesson learned, i re-plumbed that final piece with the same 1/4 air-brake line and compression fittings and i've not had a single leak since, i can hold full pressure indefinitely now.

sounds like a twin prop airplane taking off when you fire up the compressor.:cool:

my pressure switch has stopped working reliably, it is supposed to cut on at 85PSI and cut off at 105PSI, but recently it doesn't cut off till well over 120PSI, which is to high to operate the ARB safely.

i don't know if the failure is a result of water in the system or just a crappy switch, but i realized that i never included a water-air separator and so that can't be helping things.

as soon as i get the new axles in and therefore no longer have the ARB, i'm going to redo a few things all at once:

- add a small water-air separator

- change pressure switch to a 170/200 so that i can in effect store "more" air... i.e. let the compressors run longer while just on the trail to fill up the entire tank at 200PSI, so that when i am ready to air up, more air will be available before the compressors are doing all the work... thereby airing up even quicker!

- add a small regulator and gauge on the output so that i can still run tools at correct PSI (usually 90 for most tools)

my pressure switch has stopped working reliably, it is supposed to cut on at 85PSI and cut off at 105PSI, but recently it doesn't cut off till well over 120PSI, which is to high to operate the ARB safely.

i don't know if the failure is a result of water in the system or just a crappy switch, but i realized that i never included a water-air separator and so that can't be helping things.

as soon as i get the new axles in and therefore no longer have the ARB, i'm going to redo a few things all at once:

- add a small water-air separator

- change pressure switch to a 170/200 so that i can in effect store "more" air... i.e. let the compressors run longer while just on the trail to fill up the entire tank at 200PSI, so that when i am ready to air up, more air will be available before the compressors are doing all the work... thereby airing up even quicker!

- add a small regulator and gauge on the output so that i can still run tools at correct PSI (usually 90 for most tools)

Good morning Kris,

Is this mod going to be safe?

Can the compressors handle 170-200psi safely?

You will have to increase the safety blowout valve to something greater than 200 psi..correct?

I noticed that the air tank and blowoff valve are inside the cab in a sealed compartment...if the safety

valve releases where is the air going to escape to?

Just some concerns for your safety ...

Best regards,

Mike

Good morning Kris,

Is this mod going to be safe?

Can the compressors handle 170-200psi safely?

You will have to increase the safety blowout valve to something greater than 200 psi..correct?

I noticed that the air tank and blowoff valve are inside the cab in a sealed compartment...if the safety

valve releases where is the air going to escape to?

Just some concerns for your safety ...

Best regards,

Mike

good points buddy! I was forgetting that i'd need a bigger blow-off. I found my tank is rated for 200PSI, so decided on a 145-on/175-off pressure switch so that I'm leaving a little room for safety sake. and i found a 180PSI safety valve.

update, just looked up the compressors, they are only rated for 120PSI, booooooo. i thought they were rated for 200. i do have a one-way valve so that pressure doesn't bleed back from the tank into the compressors, but they still need to be powerfull enough to push past that at whatever pressure the tank holds... there goes my big plan :(

thanks for making me do a reality check!

regarding saftely... the entire setup is in the back of the jeep, under a false floor, and 99% of the time also under a full-size spare tire and misc tools and junk... so even if the tank blew up (highly unlikely), i would be pretty protected. In the more likely case that a fitting failed and all the air was released suddenly, i would probably just hear a loud "thunk" as that false floor and everything on top of it jumped up for a second! and then it's just breathable air (well stinky, stale, air), but not something displacing breathable air. the shock could hurt ears though.

...as a 35" spare tire hits you in the back of the head.

...as a 35" spare tire hits you in the back of the head.

ha!

Just another reality check for you. you have 2 HHO bombs with high pressure tank and hoses in the back. If something does let go and hits another metal object to create a little spark you could have quite the explosion back there. I have seen the whole top of batteries blow clear right off and battery acid everywhere. now I know it is covered somewhat but that is just great for collecting HHO gas in a confined space. a blast of O2 and a spark could really amount to something amusing or death. I am not saying it will happen but it is reasonable to consider. otherwise I love the idea and had considered doing something similar.