Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

on board air and dual batteries in a WJ

they are AGM batteries and therefore less likely to be a problem, but i appreciate everyones concern for my safety, i'm going to continue risking it ;)

that is fine, I did not want to not say it. perhaps I just have a phobia...LOL I dont think it will happen. but you again inspired me to think of a system. I will be considering making the area for the tire square or perhaps I can get a 35 12.5 in there....LOL (I doubt it too) but I will put spare axles, drive shaft, and steering system in there with on board air. I may make the air tank out of the custom rear bumber. see how tough that will be. maybe I can just bolt long tanks inside the rear bumper. we shall see..... I give you credit for the inginuity...

with the strain of a hose connected, my quick coupler was pulling thru the plastic where it was mounted:

P1050168.JPG

so i fixed that:

P1100024.JPG

my babies have died!

CIMG2257.JPG

one of them stopped working a few months ago, and the other one slowed down and finally died this past weekend.

i had previously used one as just a normal portable unit for years without issue, so i don't know if these newer ones were made crappier, or the engine heat killed them, or the constant exposure to dust/mud/water did them in. i didn't expect them to last forever since they where cheap, but less than a year kinda sucks. (thanks scottL for airing me up after the trail)

i've done a ton of research about compressors and this page sums up nicely everything i had found out from other sources as well: http://www.hornwhistleboard.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1131

i decided to go with the DC7000 or equivalent as it should fit in the old battery tray well and has impressive specs. the next step up, the dc9000 or equivalent, is really awesome and cuts some of the rated time-to-fill specs in half - but it's double the cost. the DC7000 should be a great unit at a reasonable price.

i was originally looking at airbagit.com as a source, but eventually found it as a bare-bones compressor on ebay for $209 with free shipping, so i ordered it there. the actual best value is the puma PD-1006 version, as it comes with a small tank, regulator, pressure switches, quick-connect, etc., for only slightly more. if anyone is doing a new air system, i'd definately check out the PD-1006. since i didn't need any of that extra stuff this time, i went with the slightly cheaper bare-bones one. also, extreme outback makes the same thing too, but they are double the cost and other than painting part of it red and putting on a really nice filter, i don't know of other upgrades they claim to make it worth the extra cost.

so here's my upcoming compressor:

COM-DC750012V-BARE-2T.jpg

completely re-buildable (you can buy piston/head/cylinder/brushes/armature/etc individually)

100% Duty Cycle!

3/4 HP

~30 AMP Draw MAX

11.5" LONG X 5.75" WIDE X 9" TALL

17 lbs.

fills 5 gallon tank 0 to 100 PSI - 87 Sec

fills 5 gallon tank 0 to 200 PSI - 4 Min 39 Sec

4 CFM free flow rate

3 CFM @ 90PSI

so it won't run most air tools directly (most good tools need 4 to 5CFM @90PSI), but with a 5 gallon tank, i should be able to run tools in short burst and then it'll only take it just over a minute to recover the tank and be ready to keep going, and with 100% duty cycle i should be able to do that for as long as i need - fine for emergency use.

hopefully i'll get it and install it in a few weeks. then as soon as possible next year, my plan is to add a water/air separator and re-plumb the system with 3/8" hose. and as soon as i get rid of the ARB locker i can bump up the system pressure to probably 135 instead of 90 (to give me more reserve in the tank).

Sorry to hear about the current compressors. Thanks for the additional info, I'll be looking into these. If you still have the original hose/fitting from the red compressors, I'll buy it from you. Looks like my o-ring is wore out on my fitting.

Sorry to hear about the current compressors. Thanks for the additional info, I'll be looking into these. If you still have the original hose/fitting from the red compressors, I'll buy it from you. Looks like my o-ring is wore out on my fitting.

you mean the yellow coil hoses? i do not have them anymore, sorry. you may consider going ahead and putting in a standard quick coupler and getting a powertank or other good hose and a "flow-thru" inflator chuck - i do have a flow-thru chuck you can have if you go that route.

(thanks scottL for airing me up after the trail)

glad to be of service K.

recently i fried another "hi output/heavy duty" ARB compressor for the 2nd time in two years.. hallelujah free replacement!

to avoid R&Ring the arb unit every ten months i stepped up to a viair 400 for tire inflation. the manufacturer states this unit can be run continuously for 40 minutes but for just $30 more i really like your 100% duty cycle compressor.

eventually i'd like to figure out a way to convert a section of my cavernous front bumper to a sealed air tank and do this project too.

looking forward to seeing (& hearing!) your new setup in action on the trail.

you mean the yellow coil hoses? i do not have them anymore, sorry. you may consider going ahead and putting in a standard quick coupler and getting a powertank or other good hose and a "flow-thru" inflator chuck - i do have a flow-thru chuck you can have if you go that route.

Thanks Kris. I picked up an o-ring and that fixed it. I do like that pd-1006 though....Have to look more into that.

hey man, currently have two of those compressors. I use to use the complete puma set up. Then I broke it down and add a second puma. Not nearly as clean as your install. But gets the job done.

2287556800059445926S600x600Q85.jpg