Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

on board air and dual batteries in a WJ

hey man, currently have two of those compressors. I use to use the complete puma set up. Then I broke it down and add a second puma. Not nearly as clean as your install. But gets the job done.

2287556800059445926S600x600Q85.jpg

looks great! had any issues with the compressor? why did you add a second - are you power air horns or something, or did you just want to fill up tires even faster? was a single one not that great?

Thanks.. No issues so far (knock on wood) though they dont get used too often. The single puma worked ok with my 35X12.5's going from about 9 or 10psi to about 28ish. But when I went to a 36x13.5, I became a little impatient. I figured if I was going to go through all the work of hard mounting, I'd try 2.

Somehow it trips the 80 amp breaker every now and then, I'm assuming its to do with the gauge wire I used. :bulgy-eyes: Technically I should have an upgraded alternator, but I've filled up a few trucks tires in a row, without issue. Looking back I should have just gone with a extreme air.

it's in, and it's a beast!

P1100924.JPG

bought the leader hose, circuit breaker and solenoid in a kit from airbagit.com (local to Mesa, AZ): http://www.airbagit.com/product-p/air-con-04.htm

other than that, just had to drill some new holes and run some new thicker gauge wire

filled up the 5 gallon tank pretty quick, can't wait to use it on the trail run tomorrow!

nice, what gauge did you end up using?

thanks

not sure on AWG, i think 8, it was just some i had laying around that came with an AC inverter

nice. will it stand the heat? dust? or what ever? why did you choose that one or is it trial by fire? LOL

nice. will it stand the heat? dust? or what ever? why did you choose that one or is it trial by fire? LOL

everything is an experiment!

I went a bit of a different route. I have a little bitty, mostly useless ARB 1cfm compressor set at 125psi. The tank and the compressor are under the truck.

I carry a scuba tank with me and use the under truck tank as an expansion tank. I can get [in theory] 10 full fills on 35's and the air to use the air tools to do it.

I have posted this in answer to the 'will it take the heat' question. Mine is under the truck, tank and compressor, and has has no problems in Lake Havasu [two summers] and Death Valley[same temps and dust as Lake Havasu].

Photo_012710_001.thumb.jpg.9d5ac80a23ccbe1c2316a2555287b881.jpg

Photo_012710_007.thumb.jpg.7c49547ff1a6f085507cc23bd0ff75c1.jpg

so i finally actually wired up the dual batteries ;) i think it came out fairly clean...

P1120562.JPG

P1120564.JPG

i still need to actually run the cable and mount the remote switch:

P1120576.JPG

but at least i have both batteries auto-combining to charge now and if absolutely necessary i can remove my spare tire and get in there to manually switch the "combine" lever on the ACR (yellow thing on top of the black box) to self-jump.

after much thinking and discussion on other forums, i ended up with a the Blue Sea ACR as my isolator/combiner: http://bluesea.com/category/2/productline/388

388.png

the Blue Sea ACR is a relatively simple device that sports a few intelligent features, remote and local control, and great specs in terms of load handling (and i like thing over-engineered rather than the alternative). IBS, National Luna, and Hellroaring (among many others) make excellent intelligent dual battery management solutions as well, and of course there are much simpler "dumb solenoid" solutions as well as the ultimate in simple, the "boat switch". for my needs the Blue Sea ACR was just the right combination of simple yet with a little intelligence that i wanted.

i've got it setup as a pure "backup" battery style configuration with optional combine for winching (one day) or self-jump if main battery is depleted. i did not want a "house" and "starting" battery configuration as that could potentially leave you stranded with both batteries dead and my primary purpose was to always have a backup.

i could have accomplished the backup with a small high-CCA AGM battery as the secondary, but i wanted to know that if my main dies and i have to self-jump, i can also still run the fridge, HAM, winch, and other high-current loads while the main is recovering.

i am also running 300 amp circuit breakers directly after each battery. so in a "combined" state i could theoretically pull 600 amps for winching or starting. if i ever get a winch and find that to not be enough, i can certainly replace the breakers with higher amperage units.

so i finally actually wired up the dual batteries ;) i think it came out fairly clean...

P1120562.JPG

P1120564.JPG

i still need to actually run the cable and mount the remote switch:

P1120576.JPG

but at least i have both batteries auto-combining to charge now and if absolutely necessary i can remove my spare tire and get in there to manually switch the "combine" lever on the ACR (yellow thing on top of the black box) to self-jump.

after much thinking and discussion on other forums, i ended up with a the Blue Sea ACR as my isolator/combiner: http://bluesea.com/category/2/productline/388

388.png

the Blue Sea ACR is a relatively simple device that sports a few intelligent features, remote and local control, and great specs in terms of load handling (and i like thing over-engineered rather than the alternative). IBS, National Luna, and Hellroaring (among many others) make excellent intelligent dual battery management solutions as well, and of course there are much simpler "dumb solenoid" solutions as well as the ultimate in simple, the "boat switch". for my needs the Blue Sea ACR was just the right combination of simple yet with a little intelligence that i wanted.

i've got it setup as a pure "backup" battery style configuration with optional combine for winching (one day) or self-jump if main battery is depleted. i did not want a "house" and "starting" battery configuration as that could potentially leave you stranded with both batteries dead and my primary purpose was to always have a backup.

i could have accomplished the backup with a small high-CCA AGM battery as the secondary, but i wanted to know that if my main dies and i have to self-jump, i can also still run the fridge, HAM, winch, and other high-current loads while the main is recovering.

i am also running 300 amp circuit breakers directly after each battery. so in a "combined" state i could theoretically pull 600 amps for winching or starting. if i ever get a winch and find that to not be enough, i can certainly replace the breakers with higher amperage units.