Sign in to follow this  
bad luck

Where to go?

My wife and I are going to be headed down to Arizona sometime in the next couple of months, to visit our son who is going to school in Mesa. I hope to take the jeep down instead of the van. If I can convince her to ride in the jeep for the long drive down. But I'm wondering what trails would you folks recommend taking? I would just like to do a couple of day trips out and back from Mesa, Thanks for any suggestions.

My wife and I are going to be headed down to Arizona sometime in the next couple of months, to visit our son who is going to school in Mesa. I hope to take the jeep down instead of the van. If I can convince her to ride in the jeep for the long drive down. But I'm wondering what trails would you folks recommend taking? I would just like to do a couple of day trips out and back from Mesa, Thanks for any suggestions.

what trail rating (1-5) are you comfortable with and looking to do?

the "Florence Junction" aka FJ area is near Mesa and offers a ton of trails from easy to 5+ rock-crawling.

Highway 87 heads north from Mesa (country club road) and has some equally great trails starting off from it.

the Coke Ovens in FJ, and Log Corral off the 87 would be 2 of my favorite all-day scenic runs with some moderate challenges included. both are probably 3 to 3.5 rated trails depending on the rig and experience level.

Box Canyon in FJ is a shorter easier trail, probably a 2 to 2.5 rating.

going up 4-Peaks and coming down the back side makes for a nice all-day super easy trip, many cars can even do that gravel road - this is off the 87.

the Rolls and the Sycamore Creek areas off the 87 both are more like general play areas with mostly easy stuff, though the decomposing granite at Sycamore can get really slippery and offer a challenge on the steeper hills. these are probably the closest areas to town to just get out and play a few hours.

Thanks for the suggestions, my jeep is pretty capable with lockers front and rear, a winch, low gears etc. I'm sure it's more capable than I am. But going over to FJ sounds good, and not too far. If I stay down there for a while, I will upgrade my membership and hopefully can go on a couple trails with you guys. So thanks again for the ideas. It's nice up here, but I do love your Sonoran desert scenery.

Don't forget Montana Mountain, nice picnic on top & visit the old stone house....Al

Don't forget Montana Mountain, nice picnic on top & visit the old stone house....Al

I googled Montana Mountain, and saw a description on the Every Trail website. It sounds like a fun trail. They also mentioned that it is in Charles Wells guidebook on Arizona. I'll just have to buy that book when I come down there. I'm really looking forward to it, as it's getting chilly up here already. Many thanks Al.

I googled Montana Mountain, and saw a description on the Every Trail website. It sounds like a fun trail. They also mentioned that it is in Charles Wells guidebook on Arizona. I'll just have to buy that book when I come down there. I'm really looking forward to it, as it's getting chilly up here already. Many thanks Al.

the Wells book has all the major FJ area trails in it, it's a must have out here. also, if you have a GPS (or smartphone with GPS app): http://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=461

I do have a gps, FJ and up hwy. 87 both sound like fun places to visit. So I will get the book for sure, maybe they sell it in our local bookstore, I'll check today. I appreciate the information, and maybe I'll meet some of you on the trail down there. I'm hoping to be a kind of snowbird, and stay down for a while.

The first time we went to Montana Mountain, we just checked out the book from the local library :)

I think everyone has great ideas on where to go: Box Canyon is awesome, Montana Mountain is fun, the Coke Ovens are challenging and interesting. Lots of places to go in that area. You can also get some ideas here: http://www.experience-az.com/adventures/4wd/index.html.

Just look for Central Region for trails that are close by. Have fun and let us know what trails you ran!

I did go down to the local bookstore here today. And hooray! they did have the Wells book about Arizona, so I did buy it. Thanks reybie, but I won't need to borrow it now. And I want to thank you Matt for the link, good stuff. I will post some pics after we do some trails. I'm really looking forward to staying down there for a while. My wife too, she hates cold weather.