Sign in to follow this  
bad luck

Where to go?

I did go down to the local bookstore here today. And hooray! they did have the Wells book about Arizona, so I did buy it. Thanks reybie, but I won't need to borrow it now. And I want to thank you Matt for the link, good stuff. I will post some pics after we do some trails. I'm really looking forward to staying down there for a while. My wife too, she hates cold weather.
In that case, look at the calendar of events and come on out & join a few. I guarantee you will meet some GREAT folks… ;)

Bob, If you decide on Montana Mountain (the western part of the trail takes you through some of the most scenic Arizona desert you'll ever see), as Al mentioned, there is a stone cabin just when you come off the switchbacks, but there is also a pioneer cemetery (Pinal Cemetery) near the end of the trail (where Mattie Earp is buried) and the remains of the Pinal townsite (including wagon tracks cut into the stone nearby by wagons hauling copper to Tucson) very close to the end of the trail. Also the Boyce-Thompson Arboretum, if you haven't been there. Lots of historical interest, extremely scenic, some ledge roads and switchbacks (which aren't really bad, but they make the trail "Jeepy")...for me its a great place to take people who are new to the area and not necessarily into aggressive offroading.

Bob, If you decide on Montana Mountain (the western part of the trail takes you through some of the most scenic Arizona desert you'll ever see), as Al mentioned, there is a stone cabin just when you come off the switchbacks, but there is also a pioneer cemetery (Pinal Cemetery) near the end of the trail (where Mattie Earp is buried) and the remains of the Pinal townsite (including wagon tracks cut into the stone nearby by wagons hauling copper to Tucson) very close to the end of the trail. Also the Boyce-Thompson Arboretum, if you haven't been there. Lots of historical interest, extremely scenic, some ledge roads and switchbacks (which aren't really bad, but they make the trail "Jeepy")...for me its a great place to take people who are new to the area and not necessarily into aggressive offroading.

Hey Cam,

You have convinced me to take the western part of the Montana Mountain trail. Great scenery is the main reason I like to explore trails and backroads. And the historic aspect is a great bonus. I have passed by Boyce-Thompson Arboretum a lot of times, and always wanted to stop, but I never did. So that is going to be on the list of places to go also. I really appreciate the info, I love the scenery down there. My wife wishes we could do Sonoran desert landscaping at our home, but it just gets too cold for the plants to survive.

You'll have fun, Bob. PM me if you'd like the coordinates of some of the historical features.

In that case, look at the calendar of events and come on out & join a few. I guarantee you will meet some GREAT folks… ;)

Thanks for the invite, I will try to go to some events if I'm there long enough. Everyone on this forum seems to be very friendly, and I hope to meet some of you. Another forum I used to visit was not, and they didn't seem to go out and actually use their vehicles, just mall crawlers I guess.