Sign in to follow this  
thatoneguyaz

WJ wheel/tire questions

So, right now I'm on stock 17 inch rims with my 4 inch long arm lift. My current tires are 265/70/17 which are about a 31.6 icnh tire. I want to go up to 33s. My tires now are starting to wear and I got a slow leak in one recently so I had it replaced. My question is, what is the most common size I should be looking for? I'm seeing 285/70/17 is a pretty common tire size for a 33 inch tire on a 17 inch rim. Also, when looking at rims, what type of width should I be looking at relative to my tire size? I'm not really understanding the link between the two I guess. For example would the 285/70/17s need to be mounted on something close to a 12.5 or would an 8 inch like this work with those tires as well? Ex http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findWheelDetail.do?bp=5-127&fl=&pc=52198&counter=1&wd=17&rw=8

I'm also wondering about trimming. If I buy new rims with the tires, I'm going to get some with backspacing which should help with rubbing. But I know I will have to trim the fenders/bumpers if I want to do any kind of flexing. Any insight here would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

I would say go with an 8 inch wide rim, since the size is close to a 33x11.0. I'm not running 17's, but I'm currently running 285/75R16's on my stock 16x8 rims on my Nissan Xterra with no issues.

Unless you want different wheels, your stock rims should work just fine with the relatively small upsizing to a 285 from your current 265 tires. ;)

7.5" to 8.5" width rims are most common and work fine for 10" to 13" wide tires.

with 33's on 4" of lift, you'll need to do significant fender trimming (can't remember if you have already) and some bump-stopping, or else bump-stop it to the point of losing most of your articulation and up-travel. i say that because i know you want to actually use your jeep offroad. many people put 33's and 4" together without trimming and run street or forest roads, but that simply won't work when you really flex out.

i'd recommend a good all-terrain for you too since you do a lot of street driving, there's probably no need for you to get a full-on mud terrain. we were just discussing Treadwrights this weekend with TucsonWJ, he's on his second set and seems very happy with them, especially considering the price.

I would say go with an 8 inch wide rim, since the size is close to a 33x11.0. I'm not running 17's, but I'm currently running 285/75R16's on my stock 16x8 rims on my Nissan Xterra with no issues.

Gotchya okay that makes sense. Thanks!

Unless you want different wheels, your stock rims should work just fine with the relatively small upsizing to a 285 from your current 265 tires. ;)

Yeah true but I want different wheels, plus I think the backspacing will help me clear the bigger tires

7.5" to 8.5" width rims are most common and work fine for 10" to 13" wide tires.

with 33's on 4" of lift, you'll need to do significant fender trimming (can't remember if you have already) and some bump-stopping, or else bump-stop it to the point of losing most of your articulation and up-travel. i say that because i know you want to actually use your jeep offroad. many people put 33's and 4" together without trimming and run street or forest roads, but that simply won't work when you really flex out.

i'd recommend a good all-terrain for you too since you do a lot of street driving, there's probably no need for you to get a full-on mud terrain. we were just discussing Treadwrights this weekend with TucsonWJ, he's on his second set and seems very happy with them, especially considering the price.

Yeah makes sense. I don't have bump stops currently. What exactly do they do? Yeah definitely, I like to do a mix of it all so being able to flex is important.

Also appreciate the tire suggestion. I'll definitely check out Treadwrights. My Dynapros have done me fairly well also. I am also looking into General Grabber AT2s. I wanted those before when I got my tires but couldn't find anywhere with them in stock. Thank you!

Anyone recommend any specific tires, probably looking for an aggressive AT. I checked out tread wrights and they look decent, especially for the price, but I'm keeping my options open.

Bump. Just as an update I've noticed there are ALOT more options tire wise if you go with 16s. Also price wise there is a noticeable difference. Definitely considering 16s now. I've always liked the General Grabber At2s and they are not really availble in a 17, but are in a 16. AGain, still looking for some tire suggestions for an aggressive AT

I have Goodyear Duratracs, which are some of the most aggressive ATs available. What I like - quiet on road, great performance on and offroad, look great. What I don't like - I've had 2 non-repairable flats this year. Bad luck? Maybe, but they are not known for their stout sidewalls and I hadn't had another flat in the previous 15 or so years. Bottom line, I love them, but I'm not sure I would buy them again. I would likely go with the BFG MT KM2s that I had on my old TJ. Not an AT, but still pretty quiet with good manners on road and great offroad. Your results may vary. :)

we have Duratracs on Aimee's Liberty, they look great and started out great, but then got reaaaaaaly loud due to uneven wear. i think we need better shocks and also we got a little lazy on the rotation schedule - so not sure if they are prone to uneven wear though or if it was purely our case.

i like BFG, Toyo, and Nitto personally - all make some A/T's worth looking at. the Toyo M/T's are as quiet and handle as well as most A/T's from what i've read, but they cost a lot.

The 2 Duratracs that I haven't had to replace have about 35-40k miles on them and are wearing great and are still quiet...but, I'm pretty good about having them balanced and rotated.

Here is a recent (yesterday) article that Expedition Portal did on 7 different ATs (no Duratracs).

http://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/