Sign in to follow this  
frostbiker

Fuel Line Purge

Okay, Jeep Braintrust, I need a bit more assistance.

Thanks to a miscreant or two, I have an unknown amount of sugar or other foreign substance in my tank.

The cost of repairs is twice the value of the truck. I've decided to drop the tank myself and make the repairs. I figure I'll need to a)drain the tank, b)drop the tank, c)replace the pump and filter, d)purge and clean the fuel lines, e)check and clean the injectors

My question is what is the best and most effective way to clean the fuel lines. A neighbor informed me the best was to disconnect the fuel line where it meets the rail and send injector cleaner back down towards the tank. What can I use to send the cleaner down there under pressure so it moves through the line? Is there a specific pump or something I can use?

If you have access to a compressor you can try this method. Squirt a bunch of carburetor cleaner into the line. Use a blow gun with a rubber tip to blow the cleaner through the lines with the air pressure. If you can get the cleaner to pool and fill the line at a low bend it should be effective.

I've never cleaned fuel lines this way but I have cleaned trans cooler lines successfully with this method after changing a smoked transmission and replacing the cooler.

Are you sure that some one put something in your tank? What are the symptoms?

G :cool:

Never mind, just saw the other thread.

G :cool:

Can't send cleaner back through the line toward the tank, the fuel regulator in the filter won't allow it. You'll have to clean out individual sections of line using Jim's method.

Well, we've made progress. Dropped the tank and cleaned it yesterday. We siphoned off approximately 15 gallons of gas that looked clear. Dad and I pulled samples of gas into a clean glass jar every 3-5 gallons. It was crystal clear. Weird. I would expect more foreign matter in the tank. Whoever did this either didn't have enough time to put all the stuff into the tank, didn't bring enough stuff to put in the tank, or just thought a little dab will do ya.

Disconnected the fuel line from the rail this morning and gently shot some compressed air through the line. Removed a tiny bit of gunk in the line itself. The braintrust at my end (dad and a mechanic neighbor) concur that whatever was introduced to the tank (not sugar, but some sort of lotion) may have moved past the pump and filter to block an injector or two.

Next weekend, we plan on reattaching the tank, filling it with a bit of gas and a heaping helping of injector cleaner. The plan is to prime the fuel lines and let the cleaner do some work. If the truck still misses after that, we will pull the fuel rail and inspect all the injectors for problems.

I should mention that when I last started the engine, it sounded like the right side was where the miss was occurring. I think whatever got through moved all the way down the fuel rail and blocked an injector on that side.

I recommend for anyone dropping the tank on their truck to clean it and let it set overnight to dry. I also recommend putting a large dessicant bag in the tank to soak up any residual moisture. My tank was bone dry this morning except for a little drop of water at the bottom.

what a PITA - sorry you had to deal with this!

It is what it is. In the long run, I'd love to keep the truck. Probably going to sell it once I breathe life back into it. I have a line on a '13 FJ Cruiser in 4wd.

Here's an update for you guys:

Traced fuel problems from the pump, filter, lines, rail, injectors, plugs and coil packs. All that is fine. Replaced plugs, purged the lines, cleaned injectors and did continuity tests on injectors and coil packs. All of that is fine. I started the truck up on Thursday. Was still rough, but much better. No codes. Shut it off and went to do something else. Came back and tried to test drive. Idled like the very first day. Code P0202 showed up. So, something is wrong with the number 2 injector.

Something dad and I should have done a while back was a compression test. Didn't think much of it at the time because we thought we were dealing with issues up to and including the injectors. Nothing inside the block. We tested compression on the #2 first. Flat expletive zero. No psi at all. Not even a blip when I cranked it over. Checked three other holes. All but the number one were in the 120 psi range. Number 1 showed 150.

Double checked continuity on the coil pack, pulled the rail and double checked the injector, checked the spark plug. All fine. Worst case, a blown head gasket. I'm not even gonna attempt to rebuild the engine on that one. My neighbor, the shade tree genius (no, don't laugh, he really is!), has theorized that if it is not a stuck valve, blown gasket, or other headache inducing problem, the simplest answer would be a bad rocker arm, or busted spring.

My work schedule returns to normal this week. I'll have a couple hours every day to break the engine down. I'm gonna get down and pull the valve cover off that side and see if there is something obvious in need of repair.

Wish me luck, as this is turning into a greek tragedy.