Sign in to follow this  
dbell

1" wheel spacers

Hey guys, just got the IRO 4'' installed. (pics to come) But I was thinking about some 1" wheel spacers... What do y'all think? Pros/Cons? Thanks for any input.

-Dom

I ran SpiderTrax wheel spacers for almost 2 years without any issues. They helped keep my tires from rubbing on the control arms at full steering lock because I had stock wheels at the time. They're almost necessary at 32" tires and up. Only negatives were having to check them for tightness or having to remove them to do brake work.

did you find that they came loose much?

Hi Dom,

My LJ had 1.25" spacers on it when I bought it several years ago, apparently to provide clearance for stock rims and 33x10.50 tires. I drove it only to and from trails, not as a daily driver, but I did a lot of trails. I didn't experience any handling issue, no worn out bearings, no failure of the spacers. (I had Spidertrax.) I only removed them recently, when I bought new rims with more appropriate backspacing. So, from my anecdotal experience, they worked well for their intended purpose and didn't cause any related failures.

Per your question, mine never seemed to have a problem with loosening. I had them off once to do brakes, then a second time when I removed them. They weren't loose either time.

Perfect. Good to hear. I think I might end up getting some. Just test drove the jeep after the alignment and it does rub at full turn. Don't know if spacers will cure it, but maybe they'll help. Thanks guys for your replies.

I have had Spidertrax 1.25 spacers on the rear of my TJ for 4 years without any problems with them . I did have them in the front but one of them sheared all the lugs at the Hub about three years ago and I removed the front ones . I think I may have over torqued them and since I'm not any tire rub issues , I didnt put them back on . The correct amount of torque is important with these .

I have no experience with them on one of my own vehicles but I've worked on friends vehicles that used them.

Please, please, if you use them, buy them from a reputable manufacturer. I worked with a set of no name spacers a few years ago, the studs they came installed with were Junk! We could not get the vehicle lugs to hold torque no matter what. If the spacers are no name,I would also question the quality of the material the actual spacer is made up of. The average person is not a metallurgist, myself included. You need a Co. that practices their own quality control and doesn't just trust their supplier..

Also please invest in a decent torque wrench and use it. Recheck the torque several times at least until you get a feel for how the joint is holding up.

Several previous people have touched on these items but I felt this could stand to be repeated.

I agree. Spidertrax is " suppose " to be the best but I was using a suspect torque wrench at the time and I paid the price for using it i believe

Used blue Loctite and torqued them to 110. Never loosened a bit.

I torqued to 100 and didn't use Loctite (although I probably should have). Never loosened.