Sign in to follow this  
matt@expaz

Gunsight Pass may be closed

Just heard this weekend that the trail through Gunsight Pass (and the bypasses) have been gated and blocked off with No Trespassing and No Photography signs at the new Rosemont Copper Mine. I contacted the Nogales district of the Coronado National Forest Service today regarding this. They confirmed that a small section of the trail right next to the pass does go through property owned by the mine and they can't control if they open or close access. I asked them if there were plans to create a bypass all on FS land. They said they are working on finding out exactly how the trail goes through the property and how close it is to FS land. No estimate on a time frame or if a resolution or bypass will be finished. They did not know why the mine would post no photography signs or the legality of such things. I am checking in to that also.

Just heard this weekend that the trail through Gunsight Pass (and the bypasses) have been gated and blocked off with No Trespassing and No Photography signs at the new Rosemont Copper Mine. I contacted the Nogales district of the Coronado National Forest Service today regarding this. They confirmed that a small section of the trail right next to the pass does go through property owned by the mine and they can't control if they open or close access. I asked them if there were plans to create a bypass all on FS land. They said they are working on finding out exactly how the trail goes through the property and how close it is to FS land. No estimate on a time frame or if a resolution or bypass will be finished. They did not know why the mine would post no photography signs or the legality of such things. I am checking in to that also.

Bad news. I just attempted Gunsight Pass this afternoon from the West side and there is a new gate blocking access to both Gunsight Pass and Lopez Pass. I'll be visiting the local Forest Service office on Tuesday to find out how they can get away with this and what can we do about it. Lopez Pass goes well North of the mine and how they can close access to it needs an answer. I'll keep you posted and I hope all members of the off-road community will join in the fight to regain public access to this historic and well known trail.

Normally I am a champion of mining and commerce, and Rosemont mining already has

quite a few enemies.

If four wheelers jump on the bandwagon they won't have any friends at all, and increases

the odds that they'll never get their mine.

Maybe someone should have this discussion with Rosemont. They are more vulnerable and

have more to lose.

Forget the Forest Service, they could care less about motorized access. Even if they pretend

that they do.

This is a real Shame!! It's a great trail.

Very sad. Gunsight Pass has been closed off by the mining company. They may be closing off more in the area too. Here's an article from the Arizona Daily Star from last Saturday on this issue: http://tucson.com/news/science/environment/rosemont-owner-closes-roads-in-santa-ritas-to-public/article_a27fc839-9d66-5c16-8f5a-db1031085c8e.html

FYI, Helvetia has also now been closed off by the mining company. No surprise, but a bummer still.

Do not waste your time going to the Helvetia area as it has been completely closed off and posted "no trespassing". As of 3 days ago you could drive about 1 mile on the main road that goes past the Helvetia ghost town turnoff until you hit a new gate. ALL the side roads have been either gated or blocked with ditches dug by a backhoe. There is nothing to see and you risk being charged with trespassing if you attempt to park and walk to the townsite. I think the property owners around Helvetia saw the mining company get away with blocking access to both Gunsight & Lopez passes and figured this would be their opportunity to block everything and keep people away. It's working, at least for now, and it SUCKS!

Kermit