Sign in to follow this  
JeepUniq

Just passed my Technician exam ...

Yuppie! Now I have to wait for the License an call sign to get posted :(

The Jeep is all set-up w/ a Yeasu FTM-400DR and a Diamond NR73BNMO antenna.

Are there any other CF4M radios in the club? It would be so cool to use the Group Monitor function...

Cheers,

Dan

N7IYT and N1HX have them.

Congratulations! Nice radio.

congrats!

that's one fancy looking radio!

no C4FM here, however i see yours also has everything for APRS built in - "... GPS Logging Function is included. External GPS devices can be connected." - are you going to hook it up with something external that can show stations on a map?

Thank you all!

I'm no expert Kris, so excuse the ignorance: but I would assume that the radio would broadcast its geo-location via APRS on its own, since it has the built in GPS. No? Then, I think that anyone would then be able to see its location on a APRS map (like the one on 4x4ham).

The Group Manager function (a CF4M function) would be able to display on the FTM400 the location of the group members, though not on a map per se, but rather relative coordinates.

I'll see you on Sat, right? Are your kids coming with you?

Regards,

Dan

N7IYT and N1HX have them.

Cool! I hope I'll meet them on the trail.

Thanks,

Dan

Thank you all!

I'm no expert Kris, so excuse the ignorance: but I would assume that the radio would broadcast its geo-location via APRS on its own, since it has the built in GPS. No? Then, I think that anyone would then be able to see its location on a APRS map (like the one on 4x4ham).

The Group Manager function (a CF4M function) would be able to display on the FTM400 the location of the group members, though not on a map per se, but rather relative coordinates.

I'll see you on Sat, right? Are your kids coming with you?

Regards,

Dan

not an expert myself by any means!

on my particular Kenwood radio there are no native APRS features (no TNC, GPS or firmware to handle the APRS data). therefore i had to put together devices that could fulfill all those functions in order to have APRS. the way i happened to do it also allows me to plot any APRS stations that my radio hears on a real map: http://theksmith.com/adventures-outdoors/aprs-kenwood-tm-v71a-mobilinkd-bluetooth-tnc-android-tablet-aprsdroid/

i believe you have everything self-contained in that radio to know and transmit your location - and i'm sure you can receive the locations of others that are beaconing APRS, but i'm not sure how that data is displayed to you other than their coordinates. it probably indicates distance and direction of a station relative to you as well though.

your radio's features say that it can work with something external, perhaps to plot APRS stations that it "hears" on a real map. i was just curious if you knew what type of devices are natively supported. something like this might work with it, but i'm not sure: http://www.avmap.us/products/terr/geosat_6_aprs-664/introduction

...or if it supports the KISS protocol, then there are apps for Android and Windows (and maybe iOS) mobile devices that it could interface with and only probably need a cable of some sort.

i will see you this weekend and we can chat about it more. and yes, i'm bringing Brady again (who you met on the Mogollon Rim trip), and my GF Aimee who i don't think you guys have met before. can't wait!

i believe you have everything self-contained in that radio to know and transmit your location - and i'm sure you can receive the locations of others that are beaconing APRS, but i'm not sure how that data is displayed to you other than their coordinates. it probably indicates distance and direction of a station relative to you as well though.

Enable APRS on 144.39Mhz and you can beacon your position and receive positions of other hams. You should also be able to do APRS messaging. The radio will show you where other stations are, but I'm not familiar with how well the mapping is. Most likely just a heading.

Kris, that's a neat set-up. I hope to achieve the same functionality by just leveraging the ARPS in my radio, and my iPhone (via http://aprs.fi) for map plotting.

The LCD seems nice (on the small side), good for typing messages, but lacks any maps. It just gives direction (NSEW) and distance. Also, I think that only works for CF4M.

Looking forward to Saturday!

not an expert myself by any means!

on my particular Kenwood radio there are no native APRS features (no TNC, GPS or firmware to handle the APRS data). therefore i had to put together devices that could fulfill all those functions in order to have APRS. the way i happened to do it also allows me to plot any APRS stations that my radio hears on a real map: http://theksmith.com/adventures-outdoors/aprs-kenwood-tm-v71a-mobilinkd-bluetooth-tnc-android-tablet-aprsdroid/

your radio's features say that it can work with something external, perhaps to plot APRS stations that it "hears" on a real map. i was just curious if you knew what type of devices are natively supported. something like this might work with it, but i'm not sure: http://www.avmap.us/products/terr/geosat_6_aprs-664/introduction

...or if it supports the KISS protocol, then there are apps for Android and Windows (and maybe iOS) mobile devices that it could interface with and only probably need a cable of some sort.

i will see you this weekend and we can chat about it more. and yes, i'm bringing Brady again (who you met on the Mogollon Rim trip), and my GF Aimee who i don't think you guys have met before. can't wait!