Sign in to follow this  
Offroad Passport

February 2015 Photography Contest Winner!

That's a pretty crazy photo Matt, do tell how you captured the image!

Congrats!!

smiles, ladybug

Nice pic Matt! Congrats

Very cool, looks like a Vegas show!

That's a pretty crazy photo Matt, do tell how you captured the image!

Shutter speed, some patience and a tripod;)

shutter-speeds.jpg

Congrats

Thanks, everyone! Diane, I will be sending you a PM shortly.

Shutter speed, some patience and a tripod;)

shutter-speeds.jpg

yes, but what was he swinging around? a sparkler on a string?

Here's how I captured that photo: It's called "Steel Wool Painting" and it can be extremely dangerous. Please read the following real cautionary info and learn from a few of my mistakes before attempting. Steel wool painting is where you place a piece of very fine piece of steel wool in a kitchen whisk (or similar wire cage), which is tied to a short rope or chain, then you light it and spin it around. To make the "painting" set up a tripod, take a 10-30 second picture of you spinning the burning steel wool at night or at dusk. This was my first attempt at it and I was amazed on how fast (it burns for about 10 seconds), bright and hot it burned. Steel wool burns at something like 2200 degrees. VERY HOT. I am glad I read up on taking precautions when we did this (even so, we had a couple of scary moments): First, it had rained a few days prior and the ground was still damp (the vegetation was not wet however, which was not good). Second, the area we did this was mostly rock, dirt and gravel with limited vegetation. Third, we had two fire extinguishers and a five gallon bucket of water ready. Fourth, we wore long pants, jacket, hat and safety glasses. I wish I would have worn gloves (highly recommended). As you can see, this stuff goes everywhere. I did have a 2200 degree burning piece of steel wool land on my hand. Yep, it wasn't fun. Even with the recent rain and with the ground still damp (and even muddy in places), a lone bush near me caught fire. Very scary. I don't think I could have started it with a lighter if I would have tried, but the super hot steel wool managed to do so. We put it out after only a few seconds and immediately shut everything down. Steel wool painting can be great fun, makes really cool pictures, but I'm not going to do it again unless we have better conditions: immediately after a good, heavy rain where not only is the ground wet, but so is the vegetation. In a wash or where there is even less vegetation than we had the first time. Maybe with snow on the ground :-). You see people doing this in concrete culverts and that would be good too. Although we didn't need the water or fire extinguishers, I am glad we had them nearby just in case. If you attempt this, please do it smartly. Here are a few more images from the shoot:

photolarge-7055_zpsyykjtkkk.jpg

photolarge-7050_zpsnouchzrs.jpg

photolarge-7052_zpsb5ycnwc9.jpg