Sign in to follow this  
K7VZ

Trail Info: Backcountry Adventures AZ - All GPS Waypoints & Tracks

Backcountry Adventures Arizona Book - All GPS Waypoints

51vXMl5SLpL._SX379_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I entered all these from the book a few years ago. See attached ZIP file.

Do you have a GPS and the Arizona Backcountry Adventures book?

I'm not sure what the different versions of this book are, but you might want to check your's to mine. Mine is copyright 2001-2002, Fourth printing February 2002. ISBN: 0-9665675-0-1

Disclaimer: I do not guarantee that these coordinates are right, although I did triple-check them when typing them in. I had actually found a couple obvious errors in the book. One was on the Table Mesa trail. I am not responsible for you driving off a cliff because the GPS waypoint told you to. Use common sense if the coordinate seems wrong.

A few years ago I took the time to enter all of the GPS waypoints from the trails and entered them into the EasyGPS program. I chose this program because it is small, simple, and free. It should communicate with most GPS systems. Unzip the files and open the EasyGPS.exe first. Then, choose the Open option and choose the AZBackroads.gpx file.

Once you get the file opened, all of the waypoints are named such as C14704 and S05312.

Here is the key to decrypt the naming used: R##D$$

R = Region - W-Northwest, E-Northeast, C-Central, S-South

## = Trail number.

D = Difficulty rating from 1-10. The most difficult trails in the book are 7.

$$ = Waypoint number for the trail. Starts at 01 and numbers up.

So, C14704 would translate as Central trail 14, difficulty 7, waypoint 04.

I think I've covered everything, but let me know if you have questions.

Virgil

UPDATE from @theksmith:

I'm attaching another file to this post, all of the tracks. The tracks file just has the start waypoint of each trip and then a complete track. You can use Virgil's file with this one to have every waypoint from the book as well as the tracks on your GPS.

AZ Backcountry Adventures GPS Waypoints.zip

Backcountry Adventures Arizona (Tracks).gpx

Edited by theksmith
  • Like 2

Please buy the book! Support the author! After all this is one of the few authors and publishers that have given our sport the time of day. The book is full of historical info, land/permit info, time/length info, and overall what to expect on each trail. Even with these waypoints, you may not be able to find the trail without having the book along.

Purchase on Amazon: http://amzn.to/1AmBATD

or you can order your copy directly from the publisher here: http://www.adlerpublishing.com/products.aspx?catID=1

Thanks a ton to Virgil for taking the time to enter all these waypoints!

Please note that I removed the EasyGPS install program from the zip file. I don't know the legalities of distributing it, as well as it was an older version. You can always download the latest version free here: http://www.easygps.com

Also be aware that if you have a Garmin GPS, the file works just fine with your Garmin Mapsource program, you don't have to install EasyGPS. That said, EasyGPS is a great program and I often use it in conjunction with Mapsource as each application has some capabilities that the other does not.

added an attachment to the first post above with all of the tracks.

Thank you !!!

Nice! Thanks Kris.

Where did you get the tracks from?