Sign in to follow this  
91AzXJ

End of the TJ

One month ago today, I got one of those calls that no parent wants to get. It was 5:40 AM when the phone rang and my daughter informed me that she had been in an accident on I-10, she was okay but the Jeep, not so much. I hung up and put some clothes on and set off to the I-10W to 60 transition. As I exited the 10 I saw the flashing lights and slow rolled past the TJ sitting sideways in the right lane. Long story short, she was on her way to class when some butt head cut her off and rather than hit them, she took the wall with the right front and spun around hittng the left rear. A kind person three vehicles back stopped and called DPS but didn't have the license # of the butt head. DPS ruled it an accident and the insurance company owns the TJ. Outside of the scrapes and bruises from the seat belts and air bags, the TJ did it's job and protected her at 60 mph. She wanted another Wrangler but she agreed that it isn't the best fit for her right now so I spent most of a month searching. Purchased an 07 GC for a smoking deal but the dealer backed out. Finally found a 1 owner low milage 06 KJ Limited for a decent price. Chelsea is somewhat afraid to drive it for fear of hurting it and is driving my XJ. I will eventually coax her into the Liberty but for now, a heavily armoured XJ isn't bad.

658326565_RIPTJ.jpg.acacb8fdcf734ad084f6a6ed0e0871d0.jpg

KJLftSide.jpg.5abc47a90de6e54173cafe4326b42fa4.jpg

glad she's ok!

and that's a super clean looking liberty!

Oh wow, that's too bad! That looks like a nice TJ, and so glad 'it did it's job' and Chelsea isn't hurt. Nice Liberty, too.

These calls are a parents ABSOLUTE WORST nightmare. :( THE best news, is that your daughter is OK. :)

This story brought back chilling memories of a similar call I received around midnight in early March of 1998, when my daughter rolled my 3 week old PU on I-10, near Casa Grande, while returning from a trip to the UofA in Tuscon. Fortunately she recovered after a lengthy hospital stay & rehab therapy protocol.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. Never even had the TJ off road. Can't really tell from the pic but the TJ had a 1" BL and 3" of suspension lift. The entire front end collapsed and the frame moved 3" to the right with a buckle just under the right rocker panel. The KJ is a nice rig and I will probably put a 2" Daystar lift on it.

At least it served its job well... You may rest in pieces.

I'm still driving the KJ and my daughter is still in my XJ. I think I am going to have to lift the KJ to get her into it. She claims it is too low. I may just end up letting her have the XJ.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. Never even had the TJ off road. Can't really tell from the pic but the TJ had a 1" BL and 3" of suspension lift. The entire front end collapsed and the frame moved 3" to the right with a buckle just under the right rocker panel. The KJ is a nice rig and I will probably put a 2" Daystar lift on it.

keep in mind that Daystar lift is the least expensive in the 2" to 2.5" range, but requires a little more work to install on the front end than the typical strut top spacer lifts that several other people sell.

you'll also want to bolt or glue in hockey pucks or some other bump-stop extension in the back to keep from over-compressing the coils (they make a nasty noise and sag fast otherwise). there are 4" extended bump-stops available that could be cut down (here...). also, though not strictly necessary at 2", you would likely want longer rear shocks to take best advantage of the lift.

you might check out the Teraflex 2" KJ lift, or what appears to be an exact rip-off from Crown for a little cheaper: http://www.quadratec.com/products/76090_0520.htm - i can't say for sure, but it looks like the way they both did their rear coil spacers includes integrated bump-stop extensions.

if i had to do it over again, i'd have spent the money for the much more complete "Frankenlift II Premium Kit for GAS KJ": http://www.boulderbars.com/frankenlift.htm - the rusty's rear shocks i installed as part of their budget 2.5" lift rode harsh, and our front struts already had 70k+ miles on them before the lift so they were already sagging some and didn't ride that great pretty soon either. the frankenlift replaces all that stuff with components that have good reviews and their struts come pre-assembled for simplicity.

also, after you install the lift and get an initial alignment, be sure to go back and have the alignment checked a month or 2 later when things have settled. these silly IFS rigs are a little more finicky than the trusty low-tech solid axle stuff. this is something i failed to do and that (along with the worn shocks/struts and several worn out bushings) cost us the tires wearing severely unevenly.

Thanks for the info, I ordered new struts for the front and am going to do the 2.5 Daystar lift for now. I am going to do as much of the front on the bench before beginning the lift. That's the nice thing about using new parts! I do plan on using the hocky pucks for bump stops unless I can figure out a way to use the TJ bumps I have. I also have a set of TJ shocks which may or may not fit, I will find out when I do the rear. For now, I would just like to gain a couple of inches in height because I hate sitting low.

Thanks for the info, I ordered new struts for the front and am going to do the 2.5 Daystar lift for now. I am going to do as much of the front on the bench before beginning the lift. That's the nice thing about using new parts! I do plan on using the hocky pucks for bump stops unless I can figure out a way to use the TJ bumps I have. I also have a set of TJ shocks which may or may not fit, I will find out when I do the rear. For now, I would just like to gain a couple of inches in height because I hate sitting low.

sounds good, take some before/after shots!