BigTuna117

"The Tank" 1978 Travco 320

Life with an RV, certianly comes complete with some "adventures in advanced roadside repair lessons"... LOL...

It is now a "RAVCO".

Life with an RV, certianly comes complete with some "adventures in advanced roadside repair lessons"... LOL...

God knows this is true! Like the time the alternator snapped one of it's bolts and we had to hold it in place with Zip-ties and a wire coat hanger to limp her home!

Recently I discovered a Travco enthusiasts page on Facebook. I was able to ask a few questions about the charging system, and receive some answers. The solenoid does work to charge the house/engine batteries, but is actually operated by a secondary module for when it is connected to 115v. which explains the various "thermo-breakers" I found near the solenoid. These operate based on heat/resistance, and self-reset based on such.

screenshot.5.jpg.d2dfa1f7c340a170adb193d699aaa843.jpg

Apparently this was Travco's unit of choice, and was used all throughout their models in the late 70's.

Further investigation is required. I have been told to look under the rear driver's side bed for this unit. One kinda-sucky thing about this is that in order to activate the unit, you would have to lift the bed up to flip the switch every time you dock. Perhaps I'll look into modding gas struts into the bed "lids".

Well, the rig has returned to us after several weeks of refit at a local mechanic shop. To say that she is running well... is an understatement.
She received:

• A full tuneup, new belts, hoses, wires, plugs etc.
  • re-cored radiator... since nobody makes these rads anymore!
  • rebuilt fuel system, with proper "helper" electric fuel pump and regulator & custom hard fuel lines.
  • The ORIGINAL in-dash A/C system has been brought back to life with a new compressor and hoses. Now running r134a and staying very, very cool.
  • new turn signal switch
  • front end re-lube
  • new transmission and oil pan seals
  • new valve cover seals
  • new exhaust manifold seals & some work to reduce a tick/ leak on the passenger bank

... and now the cosmetic work begins. A water main break somewhere in the back calls for our attention, meanwhile we have acquired all of the beadboard paneling for the ceiling. We also decided to tile over the plain wood in the kitchen area, giving it a cleaner look while still looking "in place" 
In the meantime, I'm also doing research for vintage or "vintage styled" 12v lights. the six 12v "main lights" across the cabin are ridiculously small, and worn out anyways. The problems I face are simple, it seems like not many 12v fixtures deviate from plain white and clear, with a more "modern" look about them. I found a few companies who make vintage reproductions, but primarily of the late 80's fake-woodgrain florescent fixtures that everybody used at the time. 

Once the main is repaired, the ceiling retrofitted, we'll be ready to rip up the carpet and replace it. It will be replaced with some sort of laminate or hardwood, depending on what ends up being durable and easy to clean.

It's good to have this project back on track again.