Sign in to follow this  
ZMagic97

ZMagic97's 2006 GMC Sierra

Thanks for posting the trip, looks like a good day.

Interesting to see the new route on the backway to crown king. Haven't done that trail for a while.

Interesting to see the new route on the backway to crown king. Haven't done that trail for a while.

Neither had I. It had been close to 3 years between this weekend and the past time, and I honestly thought it was a more mild way that was going to hook into Senator Highway or a similar road just outside of town. Some of the more difficult spots seem more mild, but a lot of the large boulders stick out more and have a steeper drop off. I opted out for the "easy" way on most because I was honestly afraid of hitting the under body of the truck, or something on the drive train.

nice looking ride. seems like you had a fun trip at Crown King

Thanks! And yes, it was a great time.

Looking back on some of my posts, I realize I never put any info up of a small mod I did before the Crown King trip about 2 weeks ago.

Being that I love have tools, straps, towing equipment...etc, I need a way for us to carry tools with easy access. I originally was keeping stuff under the back seat, but room was running out and have kids car seats in there doesn't make it quick to access something like 1 small ratchet strap.

I had to d ring style tie downs from a mod I was going to do to my old trrailer, so I ended up getting some new hardware and mounted them in the bed, using the ammo cans as tool boxes and the way to measure the spacing.

IMG_0588_zpsibhixvyj.jpg

IMG_0587_zpsmat0y8oz.jpg

As you can see I, I always carry water as well (especially being a desert dweller). I have a old NATO can style mount I was thinking of putting in the empty space across from the water for the occasional time I may want to carry extra fuel, but I'm not yet sure if I want to bolt that it or not.

For the most part, I got the "new" brush guard assembled yesterday. I'll post some photos and info later today. I'm sneaking in this post just before I run out the door to do some wedding planning and fishing. (If I didn't mention it before, when the family went up north for Christmas celebrations, I popped the question, and in front of the GMC as a matter of fact :smiley_drive: )

So, last Sunday I actually got the parts for the "new" brush guard set out in the garage and attempted to get it all assembled. There were no instructions and I could only hope it was all there, but I spent $50 so I can't complain.

IMG_0589_zps26x6bhpq.jpg

It went pretty well, and figuring out what hardware went where wasn't too difficult. After about and hour I got it all together. The clear packing tape has been on the front rubber "bumpers" for a long time, so I need to scrub the residue off with an adhesive remover. Either way, it is almost all done. I put it in my shed for now until I get time to swap them out. The driver's side light cover isn't attached as I need hardware for it. I'll run to Lowe's and grab it soon.

IMG_0586_zpsilzkvbkd.jpg

Again, there are no instructions so I have some brackets that I need to figure out where to place. I think I have it figured out, but I may have to use the lower brackets from the old one to get this new one on. Then, I can get new brackets from etrailer and put the old one on my Silverado.

IMG_0585_zpsp5bazhgz.jpg

Well, I finally decided I was done with these M/T. So I finished painting the other rims this weekend.

IMG_0612_zpsanzy3rbd.jpg

IMG_0200_zpshkbibrt8.jpg

IMG_0203_zpsmo7haxvr.jpg

IMG_0208_zpsuonatvqm.jpg

IMG_0209_zpsoqgsycds.jpg

How they looked this morning before getting tires mounted:

IMG_0610_zpsa22ssypv.jpg

IMG_0611_zpsvzm6gm8q.jpg

IMG_0609_zpshfkchubu.jpg

Before mounting:

IMG_0613_zpsyw7sspom.jpg

After!

IMG_0614_zps0mtyzy3z.jpg

IMG_0615_zpscm47odaj.jpg

IMG_0606_zpstx5lakn9.jpg

I still have to swap the brush gaurd: that'll be next weekend most likely.

As for the tires: I cannot believe how much more pleasant this truck is to drive. No bouncing steering wheel, no more re-aligning every coupole months, and no more noise in the back ground. I feel like I'm driving a 4X4 Bentley in comparison.

wheels look really nice! how did the gloss spray paint turn into semi-gloss though?

what tires did you have before that you didn't like (sorry i missed that part somewhere)?

wheels look really nice! how did the gloss spray paint turn into semi-gloss though?

what tires did you have before that you didn't like (sorry i missed that part somewhere)?

Thanks! I'm not sure why the paint became a semi gloss look when it dried. I noticed that on the first rim I sprayed for the test, but I like it!

The prior tires I had were Nitto Trail Grapplers in 3512.5/R20 size. They're great performing tires and have no real issues, but I use the truck for more overland type travels so I decided a more road friendly tire would help a lot with that.

I'm currently considering changing the gears. I haven't found a shop yet, and more importantly a ratio. It's fitted with 3.73s now, but I hope out of 4th if towing a light load and bounce gears in the mountains a good amount. A lot of people seem to point to 4.56s, but I don't rock crawl, my off road abilities in the truck are fine, and I don't want the RPMs hanging high when I go out of state.