Sign in to follow this  
ZMagic97

ZMagic97's 2006 GMC Sierra

I'm attending a BBQ later today, and while Phoenix is already getting warm and fast, today's cloudy day was a perfect excuse for me to finally install the brush guard.

Apparently it came with LD (Light Duty) and HD (Heavy Duty) frame mounts. I had an idea which ones I needed...but not how to install them. After poking around online, I found the install instructions. Which, was great because I was convinced this "new" one wasn't going to fit.

Old guard off, trying to understand the mounting:

IMG_0635_zpssbx6tcyy.jpg

New one on, doing alignment:

IMG_0636_zpsxjjvqcya.jpg

After:

IMG_0637_zps0hni983v.jpg

IMG_0638_zpswvb5kvjm.jpg

IMG_0633_zpsljaglcgy.jpg

IMG_0634_zps94ho0nx2.jpg

IMG_0639_zpsgk6n281m.jpg

So the other morning I was out at the store and the dash has 3 quick chimes and displayed "Oil Pressure Low". Immediately my heart sank as I feared an oil pump was out. However, by the time I looked at the gauge it was 80 PSI.

...80PSI?! That's high....then 40...then 0...then 20.

I cautiously drove home and notice oil level was fine, no ticking...etc. At this point I was confident it was a sensor.

I took my Chevy to Autozone and grabbed a sensor. About $51. I had to work that night, so I asked the fiancee if I could do it the following morning. She said no problem.

Thursday morning I grab the new one out of the box. 1 1/16" socket fits like a glove. I try getting the old sensor out... luck. After a while the plastic wire housing snapped off...

IMG_0836_zpss33g0ior.jpg

Oh yeah, it's buried behind the intake manifold about 8" down, which is below the windshield.

Fiancee calls a local shop. ~$230 for the repair. With the part it's ~$70. $70 in 10 mins of labor is tough for me to swallow. I find out there is a specialty socket.

Back to Autozone. ~$13 out the door for the specialty socket. I get to work.

IMG_0833_zpsv1fxdwct.jpg

New VS old.

IMG_0835_zpskhuyafzx.jpg

New one in:

IMG_0837_zps9oku5kar.jpg

Once I had the socket it was literally a 10 minute job. It's worth mentioning unplugging it will stop the intermittent triple chime alarm of annoyance and will not shut the truck off.

same hard to reach messy job on the WJ's 4.7 - but yeah, not really a big deal with the right socket. glad you got it fixed!

same hard to reach messy job on the WJ's 4.7 - but yeah, not really a big deal with the right socket. glad you got it fixed!

Thanks! Once of those things that I'm certain glad I know how to do now.

Glad you got that sorted. I know the feeling, i hate having to pay mechanics. I would much rather get the tool's needed to do the job myself.

Trucks looking good.