Sign in to follow this  
dzJeepChic

Jeep Wrangler won’t be all-aluminum after all

Moving to all aluminum probably would have moved production out of Toledo, OH. The city and the state of Ohio must have offered a pretty lucrative incentive package back in March.

Being from Toledo, I can say that Jeep is like a part of our blood. It's something that has always been there and is a huge job provider for the city and surrounding area. The city had recently gone as far as buying up more property surrounding the factory as an incentive to keep Jeep in Toledo. The people of Toledo will go to great lengths to keep Jeep there. I hope it continues to have a home there in the future. I remember being a kid and watching them implode the original factory. My aunt and uncle lived just blocks away. There were smoke stacks next to the factory. One of them said "Overland" spelled out in black brick.

old-jeep-plant.jpg

Toledo-history-up-in-smoke.jpg

OhioHistoricalPlaque2.JPG

OhioHistoricMarker.JPG

toledoplant.jpg

It doesn't hurt that Toledo is the largest city in the nation where Chrysler is the top-selling automaker (the company has a 22.4 percent market share here, meaning more than one of every five cars and trucks sold wear either a Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep brand). (from the Toledo Blade newspaper)

Being from Toledo, I can say that Jeep is like a part of our blood. It's something that has always been there and is a huge job provider for the city and surrounding area. The city had recently gone as far as buying up more property surrounding the factory as an incentive to keep Jeep in Toledo. The people of Toledo will go to great lengths to keep Jeep there. I hope it continues to have a home there in the future. I remember being a kid and watching them implode the original factory. My aunt and uncle lived just blocks away. There were smoke stacks next to the factory. One of them said "Overland" spelled out in black brick.

It doesn't hurt that Toledo is the largest city in the nation where Chrysler is the top-selling automaker (the company has a 22.4 percent market share here, meaning more than one of every five cars and trucks sold wear either a Chrysler, Dodge, or Jeep brand). (from the Toledo Blade newspaper)

Chris --

I'll be spending a week near Toledo this summer (in Marblehead, OH). Is there a Jeep/Willys museum or tour I should check out? Any other recommendations?

Mike

It's something that has always been there and is a huge job provider for the city and surrounding area. The city had recently gone as far as buying up more property surrounding the factory as an incentive to keep Jeep in Toledo. The people of Toledo will go to great lengths to keep Jeep there. I hope it continues to have a home there in the future.

I really hope so too. The city of Toledo will need a boat load of incentive when government-backing is figured into the equation:rolleyes:

Building a new auto factory can cost between $200 million and $400 million, say industry experts, excluding tooling and other equipment required for production. The proposed new building’s cost could potentially be financed by government-backed programs, the people familiar with the plans said, allowing Fiat Chrysler to repay the money through a lease-to-own arrangement.

A spokeswoman for the Toledo mayor’s office and a spokesman for Ohio Gov. John Kasich declined to comment.

It is unclear how development would be financed, what taxes would be levied, and how ownership would be structured, people involved in the negotiations said.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ohio-officials-propose-funding-a-plant-for-fiat-chrysler-in-toledo-1428615133

Chris --

I'll be spending a week near Toledo this summer (in Marblehead, OH). Is there a Jeep/Willys museum or tour I should check out? Any other recommendations?

Mike

If you have the time, take a trip up I75 into Michigan to The Henry Ford museum. It's about an hour from Toledo (75? Miles). Maybe a 100 from where I think you'll be. Well worth the trip. The Ford Rouge assembly plant tour is good as well if you've never seen the inside of an auto assembly plant

If you have the time, take a trip up I75 into Michigan to The Henry Ford museum. It's about an hour from Toledo (75? Miles). Maybe a 100 from where I think you'll be. Well worth the trip. The Ford Rouge assembly plant tour is good as well if you've never seen the inside of an auto assembly plant
Jim speaks the truth …

The Henry Ford museum is IMHO, the finest transportation museum in the country. IMHO, Several cuts above the Smithsonian… Again… IMHO… ;)

Henry Ford Museum is a must see in Dearborn, Mi. Amazing history there. http://www.thehenryford.org/?gclid=COnwp7OI18UCFQaraQodb4IAdQ

hfmexhibit_drivingAmerica.jpg?width=448

I remember there being a museum at the old Jeep factory but, from my understanding, it no longer exists. I don't think they allow too much touring of the plant anymore unless there's a press event.

Marblehead is a nice little place on the big lake (Lake Erie). If you're into amusement parks and roller coasters, Cedar Point is very close to where you'll be (Sandusky, Oh.). The park has been home to the biggest, baddest coasters in history. https://www.cedarpoint.com/

There's also Put-in-Bay island if you're into the party life. Just a short ferry ride to the island. http://www.putinbay.com/

If you're into drag racing and fireworks, Summit Motorsports Park in nearby Norwalk, Oh. puts on a great show on July 4 weekend. http://www.summitmotorsportspark.com/ It's a NHRA National event so expect all the big name racers to be there.