Sign in to follow this  
theksmith

FS: badass WJ

no, not mine... just saw this on facebook yesterday.

someone in AZ please buy this steal so i can wheel with it and check it out in person ;)

Selling my 99 WJ with the 4.7 with 90k miles. Wheelbase stretched to 110 inches. Dana 60s front and rear, 231 transfer case with SYE and 2 lo kit. 37 inch maxxis trepadors on raceline monster bead locks. Asking 13k there are a few cosmetic blemishes but nothing major at all.

i think he's down to 12k now for it:

http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?108288-The-Vagillionaire-one-ton-WJ!!!&p=1031129#post1031129

That is a bad ass looking rig, that seems like a fair price, too.

it's got a sub-frame and stout looking bracing welded to the unibody with custom long arms, the steering is all done up nicely. i like that it's a low COG style setup.

there are some other pics on facebook i can grab and post here if anyone is interested in it for realz.

ScottL asked me to put up some of the facebook pics...

the owner's name on facebook is Ryan Maxfield if anyone wants to contact him - lives in Tooele, Utah.

wjsale1.jpg

wjsale2.jpg

wjsale3.jpg

wjsale4.jpg

wjsale5.jpg

comments from him on facebook:

Ryan Maxfield: it's got a ball joint 60 up front with brand new ball joints and 35 spline chromo stub shafts with Yukon drive flanges. The suspension was fully built by me. The unibody is all plated and the suspension mounts are all tied together by the sub frame and a driveshaft hoop

Ryan Maxfield: Triple shear steering at the knuckle

Ryan Maxfield: Upper mounts tied to each other to make it impossible for them to rip off the frame

Ryan Maxfield: Subframe made from .25 steel with 1.5 inch tube welded through it to add rigidity and keep it from crushing on the hard hits.

Ryan Maxfield: Also keeps it a smooth trasistion from the front control arms to the rears there is nothing to get hung up on. And makes a great mounting spot for a flat belly skid plate

Rich Hannigan: Is the rear a Dana 60? In your other add you wrote 14 bolt? Just curious. Awesome vehicle. did you lose turning radius with the BJ 60? I have one in one of my rigs and the turning radius was not as good as the stock 30. Any shots of the 4 link? Did you go with a truss?

Ryan Maxfield: Yes it's a 14 bolt. I did not lose any turning with the ball joint 60 I also built it with correct Ackerman it turns better than it did stock.

Thanks K, looks like he has rear tire clearance issues but i really like the LCG look & it's a v8. Now where do i get the 12 grand to pay for it:rolleyes: Will do moar research:computer:

I picked up a 2000 WJ with the 4.7, Leather, sunroof and all the goodies. The Jeep has 90k miles on and the person who owned it before me bought it with 17 miles on it I even have the original title from when they bought it. Kinda cool.

I really like the way the 4.7 drives its no race car but it holds over drive on the freeway and has plenty of passing power and thats more than most Jeeps can say haha

I am currently rounding up parts but I am going to register and insure this and DD it until I can find a front 60 for it. I really like this rig!!!

OP says it took him only 3 weeks to build. I bet it has some kinks that still need to be ironed out. Hmm:

20150111_150759_zps21eda6d7.jpg

20150215_132417_zps5cb8db25.jpg

IMG953652_zps0b7ab9fe.jpg

20150228_134734_zpsa72dd566.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=97883&d=1427605497

attachment.php?attachmentid=98035&d=1428373693

http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?106707-The-Vagillionaire-Build

OP says it took him only 3 weeks to build. I bet it has some kinks that still need to be ironed out. Hmm:

i think any "built" rig is like that - there'll always be things that will bother one person enough to fix that might not have even occurred to the original owner as being a problem.

if you're considering this thing seriously then i'm sure you'd have to be ready for some rough edges - but i doubt it is the level of "project-car" that your mustang turned out to be!

i say keep your rig and put a stroker from a reputable company in it whenever the current engine starts running rough. in the mean time, you need a cage with through-the-floor rear shock mounts tied into it, and some hydraulic bump-stops, and a subwoofer - then you'll be jumpin' and bumpin' :D;):P

I know someone such as myself could easily find things on a jeep like this to talk said self out of wanting it.

Hypothetically speaking, with the amount of money i'd spend beefing up the XJ like you're suggesting, i could also spend toward ironing out kinks on the WJ.

In reality, I keep thinking about the ZJ on 'tons in Parker AZ George & Diane told me was for sale. There's also that time i saw The White Whale for sale on another off road enthusiast forum a few years ago. I really wanted to buy that whale! But actions speak louder than words & some other jackass beat me to it.

What i like about this jeep: v8. 90k original miles. Wood grain trim. 37's. Leather. All LCA's pivot on custom subframe connectors. Belly skid. Lowered stance. v8. Did i already mention v8? But I'm told the 4.7 is prone to grenading around 100k miles:confused:

As of this moment, i could fly up there, purchase it & drive home if i thought it would make it.

Then i could take my time trying to sell the XJ to cover the expense & maybe swap t-cases beforehand.

there are plenty of people with the 4.7 without any issues, so i don't know if it's really prone to problems or not - i just know that if you do let it overheat like i did then you can end up with more problems than an older less techy engine design might give. my original combustion leak issue could have just been a head gasket and might have been solved with a simple top-end job, but a series of things led to serious overheating and me deciding to then just replace the whole thing.

i think you've got a great clean rig that you could continue to build on. but that said, you can't argue with things like v8, leather and more footroom! ;) don't forget though that WJ's aren't as nimble and are more prone to body roll, and they are just plain wide too... pros and cons man!

you should give the guy a call and see what he's like on the phone. you might get warm fuzzies about it or he might turn you off to the whole thing if he sounds sketchy...

The whole prone to thing has a lot to do with maintainence and overheating like Kris said. My 2000 XJ has the 0331 head which is prone to cracking but my rig has almost 200K on it and hasn't cracked yet. It was a state vehicle driven by one individual it's whole life and was meticulasly cared for and never overheated. I really don't put a whole lot of weight in the prone to thing.

If it was cared for, it should be fine. Go for it if that's what you want! If you're afraid to drive it home, you could always truck it back.