Sign in to follow this  
dzJeepChic

Needles Outpost Closed - Nearest Services in Monticello!

FYI - Needles Outpost has been closed. If you are going into the Needles District of the Canyonlands be sure to fuel-up and get provisions in Monticello before you head out - there are no longer any services available at Needles Outpost!

attachment.php?attachmentid=2720&stc=1&d=1435176591

10603677_889481917771782_7514913126433500035_n.jpg

Excerpt from “National Parks Traveler” article By Lee Dalton on June 19th, 2014;

Tracey and Gary Napoleon have owned the operation (Needles Outpost) for 18 years. I meet Tracey. She is a friendly lady who fills me in on all they have to offer. Later, I ask a ranger about the place and find she gives them high marks. One young lady, I think she was a Canyonlands Association employee, even told me that Tracey is known to take ice cream to parkies who are stuck in the entrance station on summer afternoons. Seems like the Outpost and NPS at Needles form a good symbiotic relationship

So why is it then that they face some serious threats because their operation is leased on a section of the State of Utah's school trust lands? I learn from some people in the park that Tracey and Gary may be on thin ice. Powerful and wealthy people smell money. Powerful people want to revoke the lease. Powerful people have visions. Visions of buying the land. A few million dollars in the state's coffers. Visions of condos. Of mega-mansion vacation cabins for those who are the really successful among us. Of huge profits in the pockets of a few powerful land developers.

Oh this is such a bummer....Such a nice couple...We just had wonderful burgers there this last March....And fueled up too...

bummer...

smiles, ladybug

Excerpt from “National Parks Traveler” article By Lee Dalton on June 19th, 2014;

Tracey and Gary Napoleon have owned the operation (Needles Outpost) for 18 years. I meet Tracey. She is a friendly lady who fills me in on all they have to offer. Later, I ask a ranger about the place and find she gives them high marks. One young lady, I think she was a Canyonlands Association employee, even told me that Tracey is known to take ice cream to parkies who are stuck in the entrance station on summer afternoons. Seems like the Outpost and NPS at Needles form a good symbiotic relationship

So why is it then that they face some serious threats because their operation is leased on a section of the State of Utah's school trust lands? I learn from some people in the park that Tracey and Gary may be on thin ice. Powerful and wealthy people smell money. Powerful people want to revoke the lease. Powerful people have visions. Visions of buying the land. A few million dollars in the state's coffers. Visions of condos. Of mega-mansion vacation cabins for those who are the really successful among us. Of huge profits in the pockets of a few powerful land developers.

Pretty much nailed it in a nutshell Dennis… Someone with deep piockets is hoping to move in on the lease, once the little bug is squashed…:mad:

As for the stories of Tacey being crazy, I wouldn't put too much stock in a few bad reviews on trip advisor… I have NEVER had an issue with Tracey OR Gary. In fact quite the opposite. Is she a little excitable? On occasion, but I've NEVER seen her rude to anyone, who didn't deserve to be taken down a notch for thier irresponsible or rude behavior. She ran a tight ship, and did not put up with folks cutting brodies in the parking lot, throwing trash on the ground, or otherwise dis-respecting the environment. ;)

In addition to the hassles they've been getting from the state of Utah, the FAA got involved, and the county board of supervisors cancelled their landing strip lease, saying it was not in compliance with FAA regs., and telling them it was in need of upgrades and equipment that would cost them in excess of a half million, to bring it into compliance. I'm calling total Bull shit… There are literally thousands of small-time dirt airstrips all across the country, and I've never heard of the FAA getting involved with the revoking operational privilidges in this manner, nor indicating such expensive work is required to keep them open. This stinks of other forces at work other than the FAA. :mad:

What the State has put them through in the past 4-5 years is IMHO, indecent. Especially considering that they had provided an invaluable service to those of us desiring to travel the backcountry of the Needles district… :mad:

JMHO & $0.02