Sign in to follow this  
DanJL

Good and cheap regear shop?

Hello,

I guess I have so much stuff on my Jeep that my 3:73 is working too hard to roll the 35"s. Does anyone knows a good and cheap shop in the valley that I could use?

I found one in S Cal (http://www.offroadevolution.com/specials.html) that would do it for $999, but everything local seems to be $1650 + tax.

Thanks!

Dan

It is pretty rare to find quality work and materials being done in this hobby of ours @ el-cheapo prices. When re-gearing, you typically get what you pay for, and not all the $$'s you spend will be in labor. The better shops refuse to use the "inferior off-shore" gears, because they've discovered that not only having to re-do the work is not worth the pain, nor is it profitable to be having upset customers telling all thier friends about the lack of quality workmanship.

There are several competent shops around the valley, and I personally see no reason or need to drive to So Cal for these services.

As a point of reference and FWIW: $1000 per axle is a fair price for quality gears and workmanship.

One final note: This off-roading hobby we engage in, is a "pay-to-play" sport. The more mistakes you make in getting it done right the first time, the more expensive it will be in the long run, and just as bad… The more time your toy will be down being worked on…

JMHO & $0.02 from over 40 years of playing in this sport… ;)

You make good points, and by "cheap" I mean price, not quality. I thought that EVO is a good shop, no?

I've priced the Spice Dana (is that considered good quality?) 4:88 gears at $250 (quadratec.com), so that would be $500 parts (the bearings would be reused since I only have 11k on the speedo). $1000+ in labor seems a bit much for this IMHO.

I'm not afraid off getting my hands dirty, is just that I don't have the tools for this particular job.

Anyone done this themselves? Pros, cons?

Joe Daro at On Point is a very knowledgeable source. He helped me with correct gearing and not being suckered into Chinese junk.

He is currently building my Dana 44 with 4.56 R&P, disc brakes and an ARB. He is giving me a VERY fair price. You can see picks on his Facebook site:

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=933659600008771&tsid=0.16963741299696267&source=typeahead

Thanks Grunt, I'll call them today.

FYI Dan, Joe used to own Absolute Offroad, he's just getting started with his new shop, On Point (https://www.facebook.com/onpointperformanceandoffroad), after a brief hiatus from the offroad world. he's one of the very few folks that i trust to work on my rig.

if Joe can't help you out for some reason, then George and I have both had axle work done here and were happy with them: http://arizonadifferential.com/

We have had good work done at 4Wheelers and at 4WheelParts, and we're in line at OnPoint to have Smurftruck's axles regeared. It's never cheap.

George is reading Arizona Differential prices right now.

On a JK with less that 30K miles they charge $950

On a JK with more than 30K miles they charge $1,050

OnPoint is charging us $1,400 because we need new bearings and axle seals.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much guys! This is very helpful!

See ya all on Friday,

Dan

George (and D), you've made my decision very simple. My Rubi will go under the knife tomorrow at AZDiff.

Thanks again all!

Dan

George is reading Arizona Differential prices right now.

On a JK with less that 30K miles they charge $950

On a JK with more than 30K miles they charge $1,050

OnPoint is charging us $1,400 because we need new bearings and axle seals.

Hope this helps.