Sign in to follow this  
GRUNT

New Dash

For those that do not know, I have replaced(after six long years of being out of service) my 4 cylinder drive train. I replaced the 2.5L & AX-5 with a 5.3L & 4L60E(auto w/ overdrive.) Due to utilizing the GM ECM(computer) and wanting to discard the Jeep ECM, I have planned and am moving forward with a custom dash that will allow me to use gauges that are compatible with my new drive train/ECM. It will also give me a look that combines the older flat dash look and the dash pad(that serves to route defrosters and hide the wiper motor. Why am I posting this? Because I value peer input and welcome ingenuity.

This is the CAD drawing of my dash, made by Double-D Fab, who may not have the best website, has great experience and talent for building dash conversions for YJs and TJs.

AB7815 Dash Assembly.PDF

yjdash.jpg

The gauges, from left to right, will be Tach, Speedo, ?, Fuel, Temp, Oil PSI, Voltmeter. This is how the YJ is traditionally laid out. The "?" gauge is actually traditionally an indicator that shows 4wd(when engaged, and 4Lo...if I remember correctly.

QUESTION: Is there another gauge would would replace this with?

Between the Tach and Speedometer, there will be an LED indicator panel that will show all the typical "indicator lights," as well as which gear the vehicle is in. Perhaps a Tranny temp gauge?

2nd QUESTION: What should all the rocker switches be? There are 8 total. They will be custom ordered, and labeled as such.

The ones I have so far are: ARB Compressor, Front ARB, Rear ARB, Aux KC lights, Trailer power. That leaves 3 open. I was thinking maybe rock lights, rear compartment power, etc...? Recommendations?

rockers.JPG.a55bedf057cb3c1f7b56dd6b1d80b281.JPG

I am open to suggestions to gauge and switch recommendations. Obviously certain gauges, and my ARB switches stay. I know everyone has their own projects, and I appreciate your time and advice.

Thanks!

How about an inclinometer for the other dash gauge? It might come in handy if you ever get the jeep out of the garage. :D

Curly

I love it!

these guys say they can custom engrave the switch faces: http://www.dirtyparts.com/gallery/thumbs.cfm/custom-laser-etched-switch-rockers/aid-50

so you pretty much have to get a switch with this on it:

round_chewbacca_decal.jpg

I see what you did there, Mr. Curly. ;)

How about an inclinometer for the other dash gauge? It might come in handy if you ever get the jeep out of the garage. :D

Curly

If you intend to run radios (Ham, & CB), a switch to operate them independent of the ignition is a great feature. I wired Ladybugs "Gracie" with this feature, which we have found to be very convenient and useful.

I also added a switch for the fridge, that is switched independently of the ignition. Since Ladybug has, for all intents, permanently mounted her fridge, (I did replace the cigar lighter plug with a two-wire taillamp plug, as it is difficult to find quality cigar lighter plugs that will stay connected due to the vibration created during off-roading), it makes it a snap to flip the switch an hour or so before departing for a trip, to pre-cool the fridge for loading. I admit that the replacement of the cigar lighter plug with a higher quality plug, was THE best add to the fridge wiring, brecause she no longer finds that the fridge has lost power due to the cigar lighter plug having loosened and become disconnected yet again.;)

Other items to consider as switched circuits: Auxilary lighting (Rock lights, spot lamp on back for setting up camp at night, map lights), GPS circuit so you don't keep losing sets, a charging station plug for phones, PC's, etc., etc.

The list, can be customized to suit your intended (and future) wants and uses… ;)

I just can't hardly wait to see you in a jeep on the trails again Grunt!!!

smiles, ladybug

i'm gonna agree with OB about a switch for the radios and such.

so for your 3 open switches, i think: rock lights, rear outlet(s), and front accessories/outlets...

a possibility for you on the radios and such - i wired all my up-front accessories (ham, CB, former GPS, tablet, 1 outlet, etc.) to come on with the jeep. but i then wired an "accessory override" switch that when flipped keeps all those things on constant. so in daily driver duty, the tablet (which is my radio) and the other stuff is switched with ignition and makes sure i don't leave anything on to drain battery - but when i'm on a trip and we stop a lot, i just flip the "override" switch and everything stays on between stops even if i remove the key and lock the rig.

for extra gauges i think a trans temp sensor is really good to have, especially since you have a trailer. what brand/style gauges are you using? i know autometer has some "mopar" official logo'd ones...

I don't have any input that hasn't already been given. Definitely a switch for the radios would be nice to have. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

for extra gauges i think a trans temp sensor is really good to have, especially since you have a trailer. what brand/style gauges are you using? i know autometer has some "mopar" official logo'd ones...

I really like the idea of trans temp as well. I will be going with Autometer, as the selection is quite big. There inlies the problem. Sooo many choices. I am pretty sold on the black gauges with white font. There are several styles but I am leaning towards the ones that resemble old military gauges faces.